The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

CARB Numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pizzy

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2002
San Jose, California
Would it be frowned upon to share a list of CARB numbers amongst the community? I have legit ones from my own parts, but I'm also looking for one for an FMIC because mine doesn't have a CARB number.

I realize this is "shady" so to speak, but it's probably the only thing I'd get called for on a visual smog inspection and I just thought people wouldn't mind scratching each others backs a bit... stupid California :sosad:

I don't know if just having a number would help much. Using one on a part that's not certified would subject you to a helluva banging by the State if they caught it. Then you have situations such as the Injen intake that has a number for the Eclipse, but not for the Talon; having the number won't clear it with the inspector.

You dont need a carb number for anything on the intercooling system on a factory turbocharged vehicle..

The only modification you can do intercooler or intercooler piping wise thats illegal on a factory turbocharged vehicle is installing an adjustable CBV.. Other than that its all fair game..

I just got done with state ref on my 1g.. Intercooler and all piping was ok as long as i had the stock bov on there..

You dont need a carb number for anything on the intercooling system on a factory turbocharged vehicle..

The only modification you can do intercooler or intercooler piping wise thats illegal on a factory turbocharged vehicle is installing an adjustable CBV.. Other than that its all fair game..

I just got done with state ref on my 1g.. Intercooler and all piping was ok as long as i had the stock bov on there..

Ok, so you mean to say that aftermarket intercoolers and piping are legal in California?

That is almost impossible to believe. I went to the ref 2 years ago for an inspection and he said (if my car would have idled properly) I would have failed for my intercooler. I asked him why and he told me that there was no visible CARB sticker on the intercooler and that the papers stating that Greddy intercoolers are legal doesn't do any good.

If you could explain more please let me know. Oh yeah, adjustable BOV/CBV are illegal like you said, thats why I run a 1g BOV - no more type S.

Which, as we have already discussed in depth, pretty much means, "Don't get pulled over". Because if you are, and the cop says to "pop it," you either are, or your car's getting towed.
Otherwise, a great help to the thread. :rolleyes:

my sarcastic comments...just following after your usual sarcastic comments. :thumb:

Something's wrong. K&N FIPK needs a CARB number, Injen and other hard intake pipes need a number (and the Eclipse number is not valid on a Talon). A larger intercooler and its piping should be considered a "modification" to the inlet.
However it'd not surprise me if the State screwed this up, too.

Something's wrong. K&N FIPK needs a CARB number, Injen and other hard intake pipes need a number (and the Eclipse number is not valid on a Talon). A larger intercooler and its piping should be considered a "modification" to the inlet.
However it'd not surprise me if the State screwed this up, too.

Defiant, you mean to tell me it is legal to have an aftermarket intercooler and piping?

I've not run into it, I'm stock when I test. But I am surprised to find someone saying an FMIC was okayed by an inspector. I didn't think that much modification would be legal. Of course, that it should be, because it doesn't affect the emissions doesn't enter into it from the State's side.

Ok, so you mean to say that aftermarket intercoolers and piping are legal in California?

That is almost impossible to believe. I went to the ref 2 years ago for an inspection and he said (if my car would have idled properly) I would have failed for my intercooler. I asked him why and he told me that there was no visible CARB sticker on the intercooler and that the papers stating that Greddy intercoolers are legal doesn't do any good.

If you could explain more please let me know. Oh yeah, adjustable BOV/CBV are illegal like you said, thats why I run a 1g BOV - no more type S.

Completely legal on a FACTORY turbocharged vehicle..

Ive been to two state refs.. both said teh same thing.. as long as the bov is factory..

You can look it up.. intercooler piping and intercoolers are legal..

Even if you have a factory turbocharged car that did not come equipped with an intercooler from the factory you can add and intercooler legally with no E.O. number required..

The only time an E.O. number is required for an intercooler or piping is if you are modifying a legal turbo kit for a not turbo car.. So if you go buy a 50 state legal turbo kit for your car you cannot modify the intercooler or piping without a carb eo number...

I read all about it before I went thought with state ref.. If you read the actual law it does specifically state that no E.O. number is required.

Its hard to find now that they changed the ARB website with their new lookup junk.. But there Is an E.O. that basically makes the blanket statement that it is legal to modify the intercooler piping and intercooler of a factory turbocharged vehicle in california..

Anyone who tell you otherwise doesnt know what they are talking about.. State Ref in Sacramento Ok'ed it as did the State ref in Modesto.. Both said teh exact same thing.. As long as you have a NON adjustable bov.. your ok..

Now.. turbocharger itself is a different story.. heh.. an upgraded turbo requires an E.O..

*Edit.. And i just completed state ref 2 months ago..

Although.. You wanna talk about screwed up..

A local smog shop refused to pass my buddy's 90 talon because his valve cover said "mitsubishi"

hehehe

Whats better is when we finally did get someone to smog it.. It passed with like a 5 and 9 on the HC readings.. with 140 and 120 being max and the avarage in the 20's...

And it is a 2.3 stroker with HKS 264/272 combo cams.. hehehe

And for reference the idiot smog tech that refused to pass it for valve cover said the 10.5/27/3.5" bar and plate short route fmic was a-ok

So the intercooler is ok. but the moral of the story is if you have to pop your hood.. Make sure it doesnt look like this...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I guess 1g's arent exempt from getting their hoods popped anymore.. hehehe oh well.. musta run outta hondahs to pull over..

Good info on the intercooler. Odd that the State would have that much sense. Do they know a 1G BOV from a 2G, or do they just know to look for an adjustable?
Post the law link if you can find it.
The shop that wouldn't smog the Mits valve cover just wants to stay in business. Besides putting up with us, the State runs sting cars that routinely hit the smog shops to see if they'll get a pass. That shop or the mechanic may have been hit before.

Benp - Thank you so much for the reply. That is great news for me then. I was told by a state ref that as long as the BOV is not adjustable it is legal.

But, if you could find the order or paper that confirms that information, it would be a great help.

Now, what about exhaust systems. Some told me it was legal to enlarge the size of the piping but, there but be a working cat installed and a muffler. Not to mention that it can't be louder than 95 decibles. But, recently some smog guy told me that wasn't true. He also mentioned he was a smog ref before so, I don't know what to believe. I have the megan racing downpipe with a magnaflow 3" cat and an apexi N1 exhaust with a stock appearing magnaflow muffler (3" in dual 2.5" out).

I will post the law up again when i find it.. ive posted it before on other forums.

As for the exhaust piping.. When I took my car down to ref I put a stock downpipe on it.. with a 2.5" cat and 2.5" catback..

My 3" exhaust was too radically different and way to loud to even try...

But technically you have to have carb eo numbers for anything pre-cat..
asfor the cat diameter.. i made it allright with a 2.5.. But id imagine he would get you for the downpipe if he saw it..

Ok, so I've heard from multiple sources, including new members, proven members and even supporting vendors. They all tell me that FMIC's are legal for us turbo guys because were have turbos and intercoolers from the get go. Fantastic.

But the catch is that no intercooler piping is CARB legal - thus the problem.
I would imagine a stock route/long route piping setup would be legal cause you can still use or "appear" to be using stock UICPiping. One can also imagine the LICP to be hidden/not so much of an issue.
But that makes getting a good FMIC a waste of time cause your short route piping can have smog techs stamping your car with a giant red FAIL.

Comments?

Yes yes, i know all about your modified eclipse with the SSAC kit and how you pass with flying colors:p

Thing is not everyone is as fortunate as you are with smog testing. The piping is illegal and so is any adjustable bov, painted or not. Hiding your shit is a good call (flat black it) but its certainly no guarantee.

But maybe this is just the most we can do; paint it black. :dsm:

PieEyedPiper, you are saying that since our cars are factory turbocharged and intercooled that, aftermarket intercoolers are legal, right? Now, you also said that aftermarket piping is not legal. So, how is it possible to have one without the other? I have a greddy 24v intercooler - is this legal or illegal? It is an aftermarket intercooler but, it is not using the stock lower pipes(by the way all my I/C pipes are flat black). So, how exactly is it legal to have an aftermarket intercooler without some "aftermarket" pipes? Are you talking about short route piping or just any piping?

Another thing, these people that you asked - did you clarify to them that this matter is concerning the california drivers? For instance, there was a company here that was a supporting member but, recently was booted off, told me that the Greddy 24V intercooler kit was CARB legal. The funny thing is, that only the Greddy 18R kit comes with the CARB sticker not the 24V. Its kinda funny how people in Indiana PA are.

What we need is not here say or whatever people call it and don't think I am calling you out PieEyedPiper, this is for everyone that has some "info" to put in for this matter.

The only intercoolers I KNOW are legal is the stock Intercooler, the Greddy 18R and the Apexi CARB legal intercooler.

Hiding intercoolers and piping may pass some visual inspections but, it doesn't mean they are legal and sooner or later it will get caught. There is no escaping this. The state is really starting to crack down on this and its no longer a joke(at least to me).

We need some hard evidence that these facts are indeed true and not what someone said. I anyone has information to back up their statements then let it be known. If you have information on turbocharger, intakes, exhaust, or whatever let us know as long as you have proof that it is CARB legal.

Just to let you guys know, I have searched the CARB database and have yet to see anything that proves anything other than what I know legal.

We're 100% on the same page.
We need to figure out fact from fiction and get a good plan of attack for when we do have to face smog, the ref or we're just getting pulled over for being a "ricer".

I think the thing with the FMIC is stock pies are legal, so an fmic that you can use stock piping with would be legal. Practical or even possible? No.
And yes you're right only the 18r and the Apexi are CARB lagal.

You've found that California Question thread in the newbie section, thats where the majority of my info comes from. And yes it mostly seemed to be first hand information. :dsm:

Wow this is all news to me. If I had known this before, I would've never received a ticket and a trip to state ref.

If this is indeed found to be true, I will be getting a FMIC for sure then.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back