The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Car Sputters Under Boost!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordanbutter

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
Colorado Spring, Colorado
Recently my 98 GSX has started sputtering under boost I first noticed it happening on 50% throttle between 3k-5k rpms. Now it seems to be all the time, the turbo has maybe 10k miles on it and my boost gauge shows normal boost. I have tried putting my AFC back to +/- 0 and still nothing. Is there a chance it heavy shaft play, and how can I check/repair this? Thanks.

Shaft play you just remove your intake pipe so that you can see the turbine blades. Make sure the car is off and cool of course. Then gently try to tug on the turbine blade nut and see if it moves around excessively in and out or side to side.

New plugs and yes I checked and rechecked the gapping, and I checked the wires and their still good.

Yes my AFC is set to 4cyl, arrow up and karmon sensor. Also all my sensors are giving normal voltage. I really don't think it's anything with the fuel system.

Like they said,check for boost leaks and your turbo if your that worried about it.Mine is doing the same thing,and my oxygen sensor is bad.

OK hopefully I'll be able to make a leak tester on saturday, so I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Ok I did a leak test and I can hear a leak up front but I can't find it. It seems like the LICP gasket, EX Mani gasket, or the EX Mani it self. Is there anyway to tell where a leak is other than the sound it self? Also how can I get the exhaust manifold off cause the bolts are really stuck not to mention I don't know esacally which ones to undo?

Jordanbutter said:
Ok I did a leak test and I can hear a leak up front but I can't find it. It seems like the LICP gasket, EX Mani gasket, or the EX Mani it self. Is there anyway to tell where a leak is other than the sound it self? Also how can I get the exhaust manifold off cause the bolts are really stuck not to mention I don't know esacally which ones to undo?

Soapy water is your friemd! :thumb: Spray it all over your system during the boost leak test & you'll be able to see it bubbling wherever there's a leak. As for stuck bolts - use PB Blaster on them. Let it soak overnight if they're really stuck. :rocks:

Ok I have narrowed it down to the LICP gasket, because I have a 16g the Piping is hard pipe and I have no idea where to get the gasket. Anyone have an idea?

Dont know if the problem was fixed or this will help but maybe you have too much oil.. Happened to a friend and was able to boost to the moon after.. And like everyone else says check the plugs wires and coil..When mine were going same exact problem..

Well my oil light had spent the last day flashing on and off (yes the problem was already there days before) but now thats fixed. Today my car finally threw a CEL, 304, CYL misfire, CYL 4, I just got pissed I retested the wires and they were good, I pulled the plugs and retested the gap, all good the only thing is the plug tips were all like blood red and I thought it was supposed to be an orange/amber color? But it was pretty even on all the plugs not just the 4th. I'm thinking I'll just get a plug and replace the 4th and see if its all better, any other ideas?

Ok I solved it, and all you who said Plugs, well you win. See even though I got the plugs about 2 months ago they gave me the wrong ones (NGK BPR6EGP) now I have the right ones (NGK BPR6EKN). The only question I have left is everyone said check the gap, well the EKNs I got are the dual prong tip so you can't gap those is that right? I mean the car runs fine now and all but I don't want these to foul out in 2 months either, thanks.

Jordanbutter said:
Ok I solved it, and all you who said Plugs, well you win.

Wow, what do I win???? :p

Jordanbutter said:
See even though I got the plugs about 2 months ago they gave me the wrong ones (NGK BPR6EGP) now I have the right ones (NGK BPR6EKN).

Is there a reason that you aren't using the NGK BPR6ES or BPR7ES?

Jordanbutter said:
The only question I have left is everyone said check the gap, well the EKNs I got are the dual prong tip so you can't gap those is that right?

Yes you can, but I'm assuming that you are using one of the gapping tools that are round and you can't fit it between the tip and the electrode??

You need to get the feeler gauges. Let me see if I can find a picture for you....

EDIT---->

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdfeel02.html

It's the one on top. I got mine at Advanced Auto.

You might want to clean those plugs up and send them back.

Get the BPR6ES they are around $10 for the 4 or even 7ES, if you're highly modified. I had the EKN and once I changed to 6ES, I had a less problems gapping the plugs and the car even ran better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back