1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Canadian Eagle Talon

Year:
Model/Trim:
Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. thebrownman1

thebrownman1 Probationary Member

Joined Feb 17, 2015
    Medicine Hat, AB, Canada

196  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. thebrownman1

Joined Feb 17, 2015
    Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
    I am originally from Texas but moved to Alberta a couple years back. I have had DSM's since I could remember. Back in Texas I had a 92 GST. The best DSM I have ever owned. It was super reliable and I did put head studs in it after a new head gasket. Sadly, when I left Texas I told myself I would build one in Canada.

upload_2020-4-5_19-26-3.png

I pulled all the goodies off this car and shipped them to Canada. All kinds of little things. From the tunneau cover to the twin piston 'big brakes'. Once I ripped all that stuff, no one wanted the shell so it became beer cans.
    upload_2020-4-5_19-28-38.png

This motor got new seals all all around and timing components.

upload_2020-4-5_19-31-47.png
    Can you spot the problem?

I was incredibly lucky.

upload_2020-4-5_19-32-24.png

There you go lil fella.
    upload_2020-4-5_19-33-9.png

All ready for her trip.
    upload_2020-4-5_19-35-55.png

See you in Canada!

upload_2020-4-5_19-36-29.png

The shipping will prove troublesome as some accessories suffered damage on the trip.
    This is all preface to the actual build.

196  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    pat white likes this.
  3. thebrownman1

Joined Feb 17, 2015
    Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
    The ripping of Dory(previous car) happened during a trip took to visit family and friends in Texas. I had already purchased an Eagle Talon from a guy in Red Deer. The pictures and the price were decent but It definitely had some unfucking to do. Here she is at previous owners house. It was already broken. Allegedly the motor was seized but honestly I haven't torn the original apart.

upload_2020-4-5_19-41-56.png

Super filthy, eh? Looks like some cool stuff. Hard IC pipe. Maybe HKS bov? Nah, it was a knock off. Ebay tube mani was cool in the pics.
    upload_2020-4-5_19-43-23.png
    What is going on here? Turbo timer, Sparco wheel? Neat!.. .right now anyway.

upload_2020-4-5_19-44-32.png

Racing Hart C5's? Yes lawd. I'm not a fan, however. Will be looking to trade these.

It looks like a pretty good deal. I bought it for $750 Canadian, that's $530 US as of right now. I will be making that comparison when I talk about prices because man the Canadian dollar is so weak. This makes it difficult to get parts. Not only that I live in a small town. There is only 1 other DSMr here. Shipping prices are pretty high.

My goal for this car is to make it a nice, streetable car. It will need interior bits as well. I thought I did pretty good with this buy. So far, I haven't noticed bad rust in the usual locations but I haven't pulled the skirts yet so we will see.

196  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not bad at all for $550. You could probably get good money for those wheels from the right person, if they're in good shape. Do you know why the balancer belt broke?

331  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

361  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  5. thebrownman1

Joined Feb 17, 2015
    Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
    I have no idea why the balancer belt broke. I reckon when I did it last I didnt tighten down the pulley hard enough and eventually came loose enough to destroy the belt. I was so lucky. Im still debating wether I should eliminate the balance shaft all together but I like the idea of having all the parts working as they should and not modifying it too much. The rebuild of the original engine I may delete but not too sure yet.

196  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    TK's9d2TSi likes this.
  6. thebrownman1

Joined Feb 17, 2015
    Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
    The day comes to finally pick this car up. It looks decent when I get there but it was in pieces. I had never bought a Canadian car before let alone one that was this old. I had my doubts but I bit the bullet and bought it anyway for $750 cad($530 usd). The wife and I use a winch to drag this thing onto our trailer. It is so low that the broken exhaust was caught on the door seal. What a pain the in ass.

We finally get it home from Red Deer. Once it was home I could look at it closer and see what I got myself into.

upload_2020-4-7_9-37-31.png

Looks pretty good in the driveway. By the way, I don't have a garage and winters here are killer. No progress is made during winter months but when I got it it was summer time.

Other than a bad motor I found:
    Broken downpipe at flex section + some cheap ass exhaust
    wiring problems galore: it had a remote start system that was totally a rats nest of wiring. "professionally installed". yeah right.
    Broken interior bits.
    OIL and grease everywhere! But i do think it acted as a rust inhibitor.
    Old GR-2's with cut springs. Previous owner didnt do anything to adjust that horrid rear camber either.
    Overall dirty as heck.

It's time to pull that old motor.
    upload_2020-4-7_9-45-19.png
    Welcome to your new home, buddy.
    A few things were damaged on the trip though. The j-pipe was bent and the alternator adjustment bracket was bent which leads me to believe that they bumped it against something during transit. All good, I pulled those parts from the original motor.

upload_2020-4-7_9-47-22.png

What a greasy mess. I pressure washed it a bit but its definitely still has some grime in the engine bay. This summer I may get deeper in to it.
    upload_2020-4-7_9-48-25.png

Another thing I found is on the driver side motor mount bracket on the car one of the studs was broken, so previous owner welded a nut and bolt in its place. It worked but the nut protruded and didnt allow the poly mount to slide in. Had to grind the nut head down all the way for it to fit.

upload_2020-4-7_9-51-8.png

Some progress. Previous owner said this transmission was good but I discovered that the transfer case was being held on by 3 bolts and when I degreased them, someone had written "TAP" in orange on both of them. Not really sure whats up with that. If anyone has seen that before feel free to chime in. I replaced both axle seals on this transmission.

upload_2020-4-7_9-54-27.png

Weird.

After doing putting in some work we finally have a running car.

upload_2020-4-7_9-55-57.png

upload_2020-4-7_10-1-11.png

It still needs a ton of work. Second gear grinds, probably should have expected that. Boost leaks, intermittent fuel cut off. I have a pile a parts waiting to be installed this spring to help rectify all of this. I didnt take a lot of pics during the swap but I will make sure to take more to document the build. I have ripped out the aftermarket turbo timer and remote start system so now the igntion is broken. Fuel upgrades, ECU swap, and other odds and ends to do. Will update once I start making more progress.

196  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    pat white likes this.
  7. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Nice posts! I respect your intent to keep it sort of stock. Is your new car a true Canadian (“Normal” front seat belts)? You got a great deal on it, anyway, so hopefully that leaves budget to fix all the stuff that p/o’s messed up. But you may never understand WHY??!!!
    Good luck. Keep us updated on Progress.

Street Build 432  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. Harrison Scholten

Harrison Scholten Proven Member

Joined Apr 3, 2020
    Red deer, AB, Canada
    Not alot of good condition 1gs left here in alberta, good to see that number going keep us posted

Street Build 222  1

1991 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
    pat white likes this.
  9. Widgmaster

Widgmaster Supporting VIP

Joined Aug 24, 2018
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Could those letters ... TAP .. be the marking of an auto wreckers signature ... Like in my town SAW ... Sarnia Auto Wreckers

77  1

2002 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

231  10

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT
    fwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  10. Harrison Scholten

Harrison Scholten Proven Member

Joined Apr 3, 2020
    Red deer, AB, Canada
    You're most likely right, in alberta almost every pick and pull will mark any part they sell with either a logo, or PO number

Street Build 222  1

1991 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  11. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Tim's Auto Parts?, Tom's Auto Parts?, something like that makes sense for TAP. My car had lots of paint-pen markings on the back side of most interior panels, and cary mfr dates that are well after the build date of the car itself. One owner must have removed and discarded them, only to have someone else replace them later with wrecker parts.Fortunately everything mechanical was left alone. What's your latest on the build?

Street Build 432  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM