The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Cams clunk when turned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdabishop

Proven Member
Nov 9, 2012
mesa, Arizona
So I just finished building my motor and I did the timing and then I go to rotate the crank the make sure everything is ok and when the cams turn with crank its really tough to move them and it feels like they go up and just drop down.

Im lost as to why this is happening as the head was just rebuilt.

Thanks

Check your cam caps make sure they are on the correct side, facing the correct way and in the correct order.

Are you using the cams that came from the head before the rebuild?

The head hasnt been touched since it was fine before nothing has changed. Someone said to oil the cam journals and lube them up but im not sure since I cant find any threads on this issue.

So I just finished building my motor and I did the timing and then I go to rotate the crank the make sure everything is ok and when the cams turn with crank its really tough to move them and it feels like they go up and just drop down.

Thanks

The head hasnt been touched since it was fine before nothing has changed. Someone said to oil the cam journals and lube them up but im not sure since I cant find any threads on this issue.

So was the head just rebuilt or not?

Are any of the cam caps discolored?

How did the bottom end feel before you installed the head?

Have you checked all the timing maks and made sure they are correct?

How long was the cyl. head sitting before you tried to turn the crank? Possible all the oil ran out?

Thanks

Remove the valve cover and have someone turn the motor over while you examine the odd sound/friction in the head. If it is the cams I would remove the caps, lube journals, replace caps in appropriate order/direction, and torque to spec.

Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back