The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Axle boot tearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo2g

5+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2017
Fallbrook, California
I bought the car (98 gst) with a torn inner and outer cv axle boot on the drivers front. Due to both being torn and quite gummed up from a long period of time, I replaced the entire half shaft. The outer boot has torn again in almost no time. I have't found anything coming close to hitting the boot. I don't have any leads to why its tearing boots. Anyone experience this and have suggestions on whats causing it?

Axle boots are cheap and I have a new one on the way. I know how to install them and have the tools, but it's still an annoyance and I don't want it to happen again. It's not the ends or the clamps, its literally torn completely into two pieces down the center slinging all the grease out.

Yes it it lowered. I thought that may be a factor, but I really dont see how it's effecting it when I look at it. I'm going to see what replacing it again does and if it continues to happen, I'll have to try some taller springs I guess.

When you replace it, take a look at how thick the boot material is. The OEM boots where a pretty thick rubber, but some of the complete axles they are selling now w/ the boots are pretty thin material. I would imagine if you combine the thinner material and a lowered car they might tear easier. Could also have just a been a faulty boot too, and you'll have better luck this time.

EDIT: I only know this b/c I just replaced my passenger axle this summer from Rock Auto and I thought the boot material seemed pretty thin - so far so good for me though.

The factory boots rule compared to cheap aftermarket boots, that goes for all factory boots, when possible find factory boots and slip them on and be happy long term hopefully.

I did get the axle from rock auto. The replacement boot coming is a beck arnley. I hope it is a little thicker when I compare it and that it will be the last time.

My issue is a little more than just boots, I broke 6 axles last year. 1 was so bad it ruined a brand new hub assembly too. I was lowered at this point for all 6 axles, all 6 axles are brand new from carquest/advance auto, not reman. I raised the suspension and had an alignment done yesterday and need to still replace the 6th axle. These are all front axles. You think it was breaking axles because it was so low and out of alignment? I'm not making much more than stock power right now, last axle broke when I was driving normal. I thought cv joint where made for all different directions of movement?

The neoprene used on dorman boots for example is garbage and will rip. A lot of reman axles have the same crappy boots. Moog and beck/arnley should be thicker OEM rubber. Make sure the clamps aren't rubbing on the control arms.

Make sure they're the right boots before you start. I had to reorder from rock auto a couple times because the Moog part # was incorrect.

Good info, thanks PlanZero. I'll pay attention as I dig in.

My issue is a little more than just boots, I broke 6 axles last year. 1 was so bad it ruined a brand new hub assembly too. I was lowered at this point for all 6 axles, all 6 axles are brand new from carquest/advance auto, not reman. I raised the suspension and had an alignment done yesterday and need to still replace the 6th axle. These are all front axles. You think it was breaking axles because it was so low and out of alignment? I'm not making much more than stock power right now, last axle broke when I was driving normal. I thought cv joint where made for all different directions of movement?

That is nuts! Sounds frustrating. I have raised the car up higher than it was when I got it. So hopefully it will be good now. It's still on lowering springs, but ones that fit the car. The prior owner had it literally sitting on the strut bodies. The springs there were doing nothing and loose even when the car was down on them. I think I replaced the axle before getting it raised up. That might explain it. Funny that the passenger side has been fine all this time though.

Cheap parts store axles even when brand new are prone to easily breaking, they are only made to hande n/t power in daily driving applications, you are way further ahead with a good reman or use your own stock shafts in their reman assemblies, better yet go to a performance axle if you plan to keep it.

I got the new cv boot on finally. Hopefully it lasts. I got the car raised a little with some coil spring inserts and aligned it. If it tears again, it's got to be an issue with being too low still.. There's nothing close to where it tore.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back