The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

AWD Tranny Pull help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gGSXEclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 7, 2008
847, Illinois
Alright guys i got a 1998 eclipse GSX and i have to pull my tranny due to an issue i have not found out yet(besides small metal pieces i found when i took of the shift fork boot)...i have only pulled it once before when i installed my clutch and i dropped the whole craddle with motor so i could clean the engine bay and motor.....im just wondering some of the ways you guys have done it before and found to be the fastest way....thanks for the help:thumb:

I've only pulled the motor out from top with the tranny attached. If you have the right equipment (lift LOL) pulling the tranny from the bottom seems the be easiest, but who has a lift?

Lol i actually work at a shop with a couple.....thats actually where im gonna do it....just didnt know if it was gonna be hard cause i think you would have to hang the motor cause theres motor mounts on the tranny and undo the cross member so i was looking for some advice from some people who have done it alot....

Just disconnect everything like normal. Then connect a singe chain on a cherry picker to the rear bolt hole from the shifter bracket.

That almost perfectly balances everything so you can slowly lower it while pulling it out (well, to the passenger side). It also make installation a 1man job.

I took mine out from the passenger side, bottom and did it all in my driveway. If you have a lift it should be cake.
I'll be sure to post the link that helped me when i get home tonight.

A great help i discovered was to take the rear trans mount off completely. Its only 3 17mm bolts that are fairly easy to get to. If you didnt have a lift i would say the best/easiest way to do a trans is to pull the whole motor. Trying to line up the splines when your only a foot or two off the ground is tough. Since you can articulate the trans better from underneeth with the car on the lift, it shouldnt be a problem. I would also install the trans with the rear trans mount off as well.

I got a transmission lift. The key is to turn it counter clockwise before attempting to take it off(or putting it on) the fly wheel. Trust me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back