The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Air Sensor/Intake Dilema

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korrupt

Probationary Member
Mar 2, 2005
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hey everyone,

I tried to search the forums to find similar threads, but the keywords I used didn't return any results.. I saw a few similar posts.. Both nothing completely answering my question.. So I guess I'll go head and post this..

Tonight, I replaced my burned out alternator, and also had my new Injen intake ready to put on as well. So I replaced the alternator with no problem, and then replaced the Air Intake with an Injen Short Ram Intake. Everything went pretty well, except for the fact that the new intake didn't fit correctly into the stock air box, that the air sensor goes into.

So I took out the air box, as well as the sensor, that plugs into the side of it, went down to the local AutoZone, and purchased a universal air filter to go on the tip of the intake. This all worked out perfectly.. And even seemed to add a nice chunk of HP, except that now the Engine light is on inside, and the idle is a little "junky" at the start. The idle seems to give in and out as you start it up, but seems to be fine afterwards..

Is there anyway I can take the sensor off the air box, and just plug it in? Or.. What should I do? The idle may get worse once it's colder out, and start to die..

I'm sure other 1st gen Eclipse have had this dilema before, since it seems like a pretty common problem when replacing the intake..

Please give me your insight on the situation.

I appreciate it :cool:,

Korrupt said:
Everything went pretty well, except for the fact that the new intake didn't fit correctly into the stock air box, that the air sensor goes into.

So I took out the air box, as well as the sensor, that plugs into the side of it, went down to the local AutoZone, and purchased a universal air filter to go on the tip of the intake.

Is there anyway I can take the sensor off the air box, and just plug it in?

You removed the MAF from the intake?
It's required and how the ECU knows how much air is entering the system as well as the temp and barometric pressure.

Steve

Like he says, MAF is required, all you really need is get, KnN Filter for you car, and attach MAF sensor in it, then attach it to your intake tube. w/o maf your car will run like :notgood:

Autozone also sells a nice little rubber coupler for aftermarket intakes, at least MY local store does. They can convert the size from 2.5 inches to 3 inches. If it works you can hook your maf back up. Then there's always home depot

BTW, the stock air can is a 3 incher, don't know they size of the intake pipe. At least 1 half will work...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back