The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

88mm cylinder bore

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmxunderground

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2007
Bowling Green, Kentucky
So I may need a new tool but correct me if I'm wrong, can I use a vernier caliper to measure the cylinder diamater? I don't have access to a bore gauge. If I can get an accurate reading with it, then my piston pulled was 87mm and the bore of the cylinder wall 88mm. What are we looking at here?

for those who don't know what the vernier caliper is, look here:Google Image Result for http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/labs/cupol/vernier/caliper.gif

NOTE: I am breaking down a fully built engine I obtained from a third party seller who has no clue what the specs were internally. So far, I have eagle rods, 10.5:1 CP pistons and a modified head. Now just trying to determine the bore. @ 2am I know, I'm bored...no punn

So I may need a new tool but correct me if I'm wrong, can I use a vernier caliper to measure the cylinder diamater? I don't have access to a bore gauge. If I can get an accurate reading with it, then my piston pulled was 87mm and the bore of the cylinder wall 88mm. What are we looking at here?

for those who don't know what the vernier caliper is, look here:Google Image Result for http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/labs/cupol/vernier/caliper.gif

NOTE: I am breaking down a fully built engine I obtained from a third party seller who has no clue what the specs were internally. So far, I have eagle rods, 10.5:1 CP pistons and a modified head. Now just trying to determine the bore. @ 2am I know, I'm bored...no punn

Couldnt be 87mm, standard bore on a 420a is 87.5mm

I would get the right tool to measure that correctly so something doesnt get screwed in the process.

I was just anxious to get down to business. I have an OEM untouched block and using my tool here it is smaller than the one mentioned above.

I did get in touch with the first owner after some home work and he said the bore was 20 over stock. I would be fine with that except he said the engine had wiseco pistons when it clearly has CP... back to square one. Headed to the machine shop Monday I guess.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back