The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

5HP and 8FT-LBS for FREE(well almost)!!!! (newbies read this!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I recently got my car running again after a full engine and transmission rebuild, had to deal with replacing the rear trailing arms and a few other things. Finally it is ready for use again! I knew it needed some tuning to get full power I wanted to know how much power could be gained from a few simple maintenance issues. I am running a ported 14B with a stock exhaust right now, and removed the balance shafts during the rebuild, the motor has about 700 miles on it, and I am running stock boost of 11PSI.

I used a Gtech Pro to acquire the data for HP and Torque. I first took the car out and got baseline runs which are shown in black and red. In order to get accurate measurements with the Gtech you need to make several passes and in opposite directions to account for winds and or slight slope of the road. (I find freeways make best for Gtech testing, Pull over to the shoulder, put the fourways on, wait till its all clear and accelerate up to speed) I made four passes two in each direction the black and red are the middle of the four for the baseline runs.

I then brought the car home, and adjusted ignition timing with a timing light according to both VfAQ and the factory service manual. Next I checked for boost leaks with a boost leak tester made from a 2"PVC end cap and a 2" PVC hose coupler (Found at Lowes cost $6) I found several small leaks (intercooler pin hole in outlet (patched with a little JBweld), another at the JPipe to compressor gasket) I had to wait overnight for JBweld to set up, so the next day everything was reassembled. And the car was Gtech dynoed again, temperature and humidity were similar on both days. The green and blue runs show the middle runs of 4 runs made with adjustments and repairs. The car also idled smoother and felt better overall. Even before Gtech dynoing the car felt a quicker, the butt dyno is not always accurate though. This simple maintance that every DSM owner should do on a regular basis netted an average of 5 horsepower and 8 foot-pounds of torque, a smoother running car that probably is also getting better gas mileage as well. Not bad for an afternoon of work and you don't even have to get that dirty. Thats why this website stresses Stage 0 for you first mods because a well tuned properly running car is the best place to start for future modifications.

(oh and the 3470 lb weight entered into the Gtech was for me and my friend as well as the car)

Attachments

• TalonGtechDynoSept122005.jpg
    TalonGtechDynoSept122005.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 15,351
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back