The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

4k rpm whistle?

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm50fifty

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2004
Souderton, Pennsylvania
Hey I just baught a 99 mitsu eclipse gs. it is all completely stock (except K&N airfilter) and is in very good shape but it has 112k on it. I noticed that at around 4k-4.5k rpm there is a whistle sound. Is this normal for a non-turbo? what could it be? Thanks guys

1993eclipseGS said:
Every 2g n/t I ever heard whistled when they started accelerating. Change the muffer. The whistle sounds like a fake turbo whistler, It sounds like shit. :(
My friends old non-turbo did the same thing and so did my CRX. But i didn't think it had anything to do with the muffler, my friend and i both had aftermarket exhausts i always thought it was from the intake sucking in air.

JST2FST said:
My friends old non-turbo did the same thing and so did my CRX. But i didn't think it had anything to do with the muffler, my friend and i both had aftermarket exhausts i always thought it was from the intake sucking in air.

It is the intake. I've seen several cars start whistling after adding an intake pipe or high-flow filter.

my 2g w/1gbov does somesort of whistle as well. i am pretty sure it is the bov leaking when not under boost.

Its the K&N and intake. My TSI w K&N does it, my roomies Legacy GT n/t w K&N does it.......

4G63-GST said:
the thread starter does not have a turboed vehicle, so thats definitely not the problem.
sorry about that. I know i read the originalpost, but my mind must have bypassed the "N/T" part.

sorry for wasting space on the thread

My roomies Legacy GT is 2.5 N/T motor and it has a noticable filter/intake whistle at 4-6k since he put a K&N on it. Before I got my TSI, I used to love driving his car because of the way it sounded at high rpm!!

my car has whistled under hard acceleration since the day i got it, its a hole in the muffler

when i took it to get it checked, mech said it was either the intake or the muffler, he checked the intake pipe no leaks or cracks and checked the muffler, and it had a small rust spot which was leaking air and making a whistling noise

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back