The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2nd Gear Synchro?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dertherick

Proven Member
Mar 1, 2014
Glen Allen, Virginia
I've been doing some searching and work on my 92 N/T and I'm fairly certain I have a bad 2nd gear synchro. Grinds damn near every time I shift into second gear (but not so much if I shift down into 2nd). I do not have this problem in any other gear. I plan on changing some transmission fluid because I had that problem on another vehicle I had and this made some slight grinding disappear but this grinding is intense so I'll probably change the thing anyways.

My dilemma is that I absolutely cannot find anywhere to get them for my 1g. Any ideas or spots to help me find something with a decent price?

Oh, I've also noticed that if I shift from 1st into second in an abnormally slow manner, the grinding doesn't really happen. Any reasoning behind that?

Used to have the same issue with my 91 talon. Only when it was cold going into 2nd. Had the 2nd gear synchros changed and was mint

Had*

I would send twicks69 a pm on here. I got all my tranny parts from him when I built mine. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Just gotta be patient on getting a response being he is usually really busy but he always did respond back.

Thanks mate, I'll definitely shoot him a pm and ask him whatsup. I appreciate it.

It seems to me like this is a common problem and tends to be in 2nd gear. Unfortunately I've never bothered with internals of a tranny, I've only ever swapped them.

I actually started doing some tinkering around in the engine bay today while I was changing the exhaust manifold and I think I may have found something with the clutch maybe causing the grinding but I'm unsure. I saw well, I don't actually know the terms but it was somewhat like a metal ring with a stick on one end that moves when you press in the clutch and change gears and whatnot. Anywho, it was loose, not around a rubber knob that it typically fastens around, rather than under it. I assume that would most definitely have some effect with the clutch, as far as the grinding I don't really know. But I fastened it back onto the rubber thing and put everything back into place.
Any thoughts?

I actually started doing some tinkering around in the engine bay today while I was changing the exhaust manifold and I think I may have found something with the clutch maybe causing the grinding but I'm unsure. I saw well, I don't actually know the terms but it was somewhat like a metal ring with a stick on one end that moves when you press in the clutch and change gears and whatnot. Anywho, it was loose, not around a rubber knob that it typically fastens around, rather than under it. I assume that would most definitely have some effect with the clutch, as far as the grinding I don't really know. But I fastened it back onto the rubber thing and put everything back into place.
Any thoughts?

Maybe you mean the clutch release lever, or throw out bearing. Or maybe you mean the slave cylinder.

The slave cylinder pushes on the clutch release lever, which in turn moves the throw out bearing. All of this needs to happen for you to be able to smoothly change gears.;)

Attachments

• CLUTCH RELEASE.jpg
    CLUTCH RELEASE.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 66
  • TOB.jpg
    TOB.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 189
  • slave cyl.jpg
    slave cyl.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 103
  • slave.jpg
    slave.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 97
I bet he's talking about the shifter cable end. The rubber bushings fall out and you end up with a poor shifting trans
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Yep! exactly that! I did some jerry rigging to fix it and that problem was solved.

Replace the rubber inserts with solid one. Check you shifter inside car and make the rubber and plastic grommets are not worn out. Replace them with new parts. Dealership should still be able to get them. Good aftermarket trans fluid helps too. I used synchroshift in my 95 gsx.. Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back