The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g head, is it still useable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
So I am needing to build another head for my street sleeper and after disassembly I see this. What do you guys think, is it useable? I haven't shown my machinist yet as I JUST got it tore down a few minutes ago. It had 4 broken valves but I was replacing EVERYTHING so I just am worried that the core isn't good. The gouge between the valves worries the hell out of me. Wonder if it can be filled/repaired. The seat lip is also a concern.
Thanks all for your opinions!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I could spit hypothetical situations at you all day, but the truth is until you find out how deep that little crack goes there is no answer. I have seen 1/2" surface cracks that actually wound up being 2" deep and over 3" in overall length. I think you should get it tested and let the machine shop decide if it is salvageable.

What would be your test of choice?
I'm concerned how deep it goes too and you're right, kinda a crap shoot and that's not good. Appreciate the input!
It's definately an impact mark from a broken valve head.

Yes they'd probably weld it up and then do smooth the surface. I ran one in the past close to that that I just smooth out the sharp edges with no issues. Assuming that's not into the seat. The machine shop would be better to tell you.

What would be your test of choice?
I'm concerned how deep it goes too and you're right, kinda a crap shoot and that's not good. Appreciate the input!
It's definately an impact mark from a broken valve head.

Dye Penetrant testing is probably the only way your local shop will be able to test it and that can show you hairline fractures not seen by the naked eye. If your machine shop can do ultrasonic NDT testing that is the only way to know how deep it goes. Otherwise it’s just excavate and fill. If they grind and fill it will not be as strong anymore, so I wouldn’t push it too far but you should be able to handle a sleeper street set-up off of a decent quality fill.

Thanks for the opinions! This isn't going on a normal street sleeper, it is replacing the head on my 600hp sleeper, so I will keep it, but not use this head on that car. I appreciate the replys, thats what I wanted to hear. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back