The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1g vs 2g DSS Driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1992

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2003
Springfield, Missouri
I'm likely to part out my 1g AWD in favor of my newly aquired 95 AWD auto. I really want to use my 3" DSS driveshaft, but I'm sure there's gonna be a length issue. Does anyone know if they are different lengths???

DSS told me that the 2g driveshaft is like a "1 shorter. Most cases the driveshaft you have is a little short for the 1g, so it would probably fit perfect in a 2g. All the Driveshafts that i got off dss had about 2" of play, so that should have been around 1" of play if i was to install it into a 2g.

Excellent! I'm gonna pull the driveshaft next weekend and line it up under the 2g to see if it fits. I'm pretty sure there is a gap on the yoke like you stated, im sure a little gap is needed for engine movement, but how much is to much and how little to little? I'll measure that gap as well...

Anywhere around 1" of play would be fine, i have mine set at a 1/2" but my motor don't move cause of the front roll stop. The more yoke you have in the tcase the better you are against yoke twisting. I twisted multiple dss yokes cause of it sticking out 2", ever sence i had them build it at my mesurments I havent had a problem.

Dave...

On the topic of short DSS driveshafts.... I to have a short DS that I feel sticks out to far. From the rear seal I have about 1 1/2" sticking out . It is nothing like the stock ds that looks to totally insert in the transfercase.. I have all solid front roll stop, toe elim.. ect but I still think they had some messed up measurements..I bought it off Extreme PSI fwiw.. 3.5" HD..

I guess I'll run it until I have a problem, but could you let me know what to look for? I'm sure I will have a vibration, but with this damn QM, solid mounts, driveshaft bearings, ect.. I feel a ton of vibration on decel already... Sounds like it's coming from the rear.. Will I know for sure if my yoke is bent?

Also.. Does the rear flange of the driveshaft bang the underside of the car. I'm talking about the big round flange that attaches to the last stock rear shaft. The DSS unitl is way bigger than the stock flange and on a nice launch or quick shift, I can feel the flange contacting the unibody. I replaced the driveshaft carrier bearing but it still does the same thing even with a new unit. I still think that a single carrier bearing is not enough for this long shaft...

How did DSS work with you on this? Heloful?

Dave...

On the topic of short DSS driveshafts.... I to have a short DS that I feel sticks out to far. From the rear seal I have about 1 1/2" sticking out . It is nothing like the stock ds that looks to totally insert in the transfercase.. I have all solid front roll stop, toe elim.. ect but I still think they had some messed up measurements..I bought it off Extreme PSI fwiw.. 3.5" HD..

I guess I'll run it until I have a problem, but could you let me know what to look for? I'm sure I will have a vibration, but with this damn QM, solid mounts, driveshaft bearings, ect.. I feel a ton of vibration on decel already... Sounds like it's coming from the rear.. Will I know for sure if my yoke is bent?

Also.. Does the rear flange of the driveshaft bang the underside of the car. I'm talking about the big round flange that attaches to the last stock rear shaft. The DSS unitl is way bigger than the stock flange and on a nice launch or quick shift, I can feel the flange contacting the unibody. I replaced the driveshaft carrier bearing but it still does the same thing even with a new unit. I still think that a single carrier bearing is not enough for this long shaft...

How did DSS work with you on this? Heloful?

When the yoke gets twisted/bent it will vibrate like crazy at high speeds, mine was bad enough to where i couldnt stand it at 120 mph. I probably twisted 4multiple yokes before dss finally got the length of the driveshaft right. Yeah their measurements are 1"-1 1/2" off.

That flange doesn't hit on my car, mines actually really smooth and never vibrates at any giving time. I bought a new carrier bearing and silacone filled it and let sit for 24 hours before installing it. It don't budge.

Dave: What length did you order your driveshaft at? Is the DSS yoke a custom piece or were you twisting stockers?

Dave: What length did you order your driveshaft at? Is the DSS yoke a custom piece or were you twisting stockers?

I can't remember the size, but pretty sure around 1" longer then their measurements!

The yoke is kinda custom, it consists of a stock yoke sleeve with the bigger nuckle welded on for the bigger u-joint.

Has anyone confirmed the above? I'm looking to buy a DSS driveshaft for my 2g. There is a 1G one available 20-min away and a 2g one that's a 5hr drive away. Would be great if the closer 1g one was a better fit than the 2g one, but I don't want to buy it, build it, and then find out it doesn't fit at all.

I'm finding conflicting information on the forums....

Here it says a 1g driveshaft is a no-go on a 2g (albeit OEM):
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1g-driveshaft-in-a-2g.355845/

Here it says the 1g shaft is shorter, which completely contradicts what was stated above in this thread:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/driveshaft-differences.476345/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back