The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Will i need ARP headstuds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetracer618

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2007
bridgeport, Illinois
Hey i was told that i am going to need some ARP headstuds, i didnt thinik i would need them, but some people say i do, heres my mod lists

T3/T4-50-Trim full garret stage 3 wheel
dnp tubular manifold
Tial 38mm wastegate
FPR
PTE 880cc Injectors
ACT 2600 Clutch kit
ACT street lite flywheel
Maf-T Gen II
GM MAS
Hall man pro mbc
TurboBack exhasut
Logger
Boost gauge
FMIC kit
Dejopn Intake
Greddy kevlar Timing belt

basically my goal is to tap into the 11's with over 400 horsepower, do u guys think i need those?

If you want to run any kind of boost I would. But to answer your question it depends how far you turn up the boost on your mbc. For expectations of over 400hp, I would say yes, get the studs or risk blowin your headgasket. You are also going to be limited somewhat on your tunning capabilities with only the maf-t. Just my opinions from all I've read. Good Luck, should be a potent setup.

oh sorry that is my old mod list, now i have dsmlink, and the MAF-T , and hvae Crower 272 cams now and really my goal, i would like right around 400-450 horsepwer, and dip in the 11's.

do you guys think my setup is a good for around 400+ horsepower? i would like to run 20+ pounds of boost, and i think the cams will help alot also

Get the ARP's, stock composite headgasket, and get your head o-ringed and you'll be good to go.

i am running a 14b and considering arp headbolts .is it overkill?

Not at all. In my opinion, if you're tearing the head off for any reason, might as well put ARPs in there. I put ARPs in my stock motor in July when I had to replace the headgasket. :thumb:

do you guys think my setup is a good for around 400+ horsepower? i would like to run 20+ pounds of boost, and i think the cams will help alot also

With the mods you have listed I would say it is easily possible for 400+ HP on a really good tune. My suggestion is to go ahead and get the ARP head studs in. Good luck with your car and I wish you many 11 second passes!:thumb:

Wendy

No, you don't need them. Yes, they are better than stock.

Boost pressure has nothing to do with anything. Total cylinder pressure will determine how well the gasket holds up, a GT42r will be more stress at 15psi than a 14b at 25psi

I would say get the arp head bolts, got mine shipped for about 85 bucks. Why not, if your doing
all this work, might as well. STock bolts are about 60 bucks at my dealership here. Get the arps!!

ok guys thanxs fro all the input, i am going to get them, and the mod list up there is old, now i have a set of Crower 272 cams, 880cc injectors, dsmlink, and a few other things...and i think i will be able to knock on 11's door, oh and also my car has some weight reduction-no a/c, power steering, crash bars has been taken ot and some more little odd and in things, so hopefully i can do it this spring, oh and i have one more question, want u guys to reccomend me some good spark plugs wires, i've heard magenacor are good. thanxs.

I'm glad you added cams and link to the list, I was about to suggest both.

The 50trim is an amazing street turbo, I am running a PTE bolt on. With the more effecient T3 housing, you have a good chance of making some great numbers, but don't be disapointed if you don't hit 400whp. That is a hard feat, and although it's possible, hitting 11's with the setup will be a much easier goal (assuming your AWD)

ARP's are a very good safety feature once you plan on raising the boost in the 20+ range. Running strong head studs is much more important than a strong, aftermarket HG, in fact the stock composite gasket will do fine.

BTW, you should definitely join our site, ChitownDSM.com. In the spring and summer we plan big track meets at the dragstrips around Chicago (US41, GLD, etc). It's a fun time, and it's helpful to have other dsm'rs around just in case you have problems after a run.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back