The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Will i need ARP headstuds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetracer618

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2007
bridgeport, Illinois
Hey i was told that i am going to need some ARP headstuds, i didnt thinik i would need them, but some people say i do, heres my mod lists

T3/T4-50-Trim full garret stage 3 wheel
dnp tubular manifold
Tial 38mm wastegate
FPR
PTE 880cc Injectors
ACT 2600 Clutch kit
ACT street lite flywheel
Maf-T
GM MAS
Hall man pro mbc
TurboBack exhasut
DsmLink
Boost gauge
FMIC kit
Dejopn Intake
Greddy kevlar Timing belt
Brian Crower272 Cams

basically my goal is to tap into the 11's with over 400 horsepower, do u guys think i need those?

2g head bolts have a smaller shank near the head of the bolt. I believe they are torque to yield, 1 use only. 1g head bolts are the same diameter for the full length of the bolt and are reusable. If you compare the 1g's with ARP's they appear to be the same metal quality.

I found on the built motor I just bought that the ARP's had lost torque. ~20ft/lbs under when I checked. I switched to stock 1g bolts as that never happened when I had them on.

As with any new fastener, the arp's should be cycled 5 or 6 times before final torque is applied. The mating surfaces need to get aquainted to reduce as much friction as possible for final installation. ARP's don't lose their torque if you install them correctly.

What is the length of a stock head bolt supposed to be?

PS A search only yielded a suggestion to put a straight edge on the bolt to see if any threads don't touch anymore...indicating stretching.

Hey .. im new to this DSM stuff I think i might have got the wrong things ... I just got a used head off Ebay and I got ARP .. MAIN STUDS ECLIPSE EVO 90-99 4G63 DSM 207-5401
now is that the wronf ones ..for the head or are they the ARP Mitsubishi High Performance Head Stud kit, 12 Point Nuts - 2.0L, 4-Cyl, 16V, 12MM, 4G63 To 1994 47-4201 ......witch i found these ones on ebay... so anyone know the right part number... let me know.. thanks guys...

Hey .. im new to this DSM stuff I think i might have got the wrong things ... I just got a used head off Ebay and I got ARP .. MAIN STUDS ECLIPSE EVO 90-99 4G63 DSM 207-5401
now is that the wronf ones ..for the head or are they the ARP Mitsubishi High Performance Head Stud kit, 12 Point Nuts - 2.0L, 4-Cyl, 16V, 12MM, 4G63 To 1994 47-4201 ......witch i found these ones on ebay... so anyone know the right part number... let me know.. thanks guys...

Without looking up the numbers you put there. If it is labeled "Main Studs" then you have got studs for holding your crank bearing caps in place. Not a bad thing but probably not the head studs you were looking for. Extremepsi has a multi-layered headgasket and head stud kit for a pretty good deal. Its on my list of things to get.

PS The second thing you described is what you want for your car. 12mm head studs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back