The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

thumping when pressing gas pedal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2roll4life7

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2005
Yorktown Hts, New_York
My car has always had this problem ever since I've had it. When ever I have my foot off the gas pedal and I go to press it really quick, lets just say I want to go from 0% throttle to WOT while in gear, it will make this thump as soon as I press the gas almost as if I'm releasing the clutch pedal really fast. It's not just from 0% throttle to WOT but instant pressure on the gas pedal makes it bump. It's a lot more noticable at very low RPMs. I can't put my finger on wether or not this is even an engine problem or a tranny problem...

EDIT: also, this happenes in every gear, and I recently did the "5th gear shifter movement" fix on vfaq, which I thought might be part of the problem, but it didn't.

Yes, I have searched and any replies on what this could be/how to fix it would be appreciated, thanks.

hmmm yeah, i was going to say driveshaft thump, but you're fwd. But yeah, it is play somewhere, maybe a mount so that the engine/drivetrain has to take up the slack when you apply the throttle

I do have prothane motor mounts that were installed before I got the car, so I didn't think that was the problem.. But after you guys suggested it I checked anyway and they're all red except for one underneath the engine kind of in the center, it's black and it looks like it could be causing the problem because it looks stock.

Thanks for the replies.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back