The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Tearing Off The Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD-Wrecker

Probationary Member
Aug 18, 2009
Stony Plain, AB_Canada
The timing belt was snapped in my 92 eagle talon tsi,
its an automatic, and im hoping this saved me as the car seemed to just shut off when it snapped.

I was gonna just slap on a timing belt and hope for the best, but now im rethinking this,
with a $1000 budget, would it be worth it to pull off the head? i dont believe any of the valves were bent, but im told theres maybe a 1% chance i didnt bend any,

also would it be possible to run on slightly bent valves?

I would appreciate some advice

-Ranin

heads arent very expensive. why not just pull it off and see.

are you doing the work yourself or are you paying somebody

i have a friend that may help me, but i really want to get it running soon, otherwise i wont be able to make money to fix it.

where could i get a head/valves

okay so i have new valves/seals, headgasket, and timing belt.

will i loose all my coolant from taking off the head,
or any oil?

im planning on doing the job tomorrow, what other supplies will i need?

okay so i have new valves/seals, headgasket, and timing belt.

will i loose all my coolant from taking off the head,
or any oil?

im planning on doing the job tomorrow, what other supplies will i need?
Balance shaft belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, tensioner and idler pulleys, timing belt eccentric tool, cam seals, and valve cover gasket. You'll spend most of your budget to do the job right.

You'll need a good torque wrench and a pretty thorough socket set- if you choose to use ARP studs when assembling the head, you'll need a 12-point socket set to fit the ARP nuts.

Well its taken longer than expected but staill havent hit any problems, head is in the shop but hopefully out soon, then shes goin back on!

Are you ready?

Bring head down to the machine shop. Have them go through it. Basic 3angle valve job with new valve seals will run you about $300-$450 depending whats wrong. Depending what head gasket you run, you will need the head surface prepped correctly. You want a mirror like surface if you want to run a MLS head gasket. I say run a set of ARP head studs w/ a stock composite head gasket. Next, make sure you clean the deck surface on the block and check for flatness.

You should buy a new water pump, timing belt, timing tensioner, timing idler pulley, and depending on what you want to do with your balance shafts, to keep them, I would get a all new balance shaft components or if you want to remove them (which I would do), I would get a BS removal kit. make sure the stub shaft has an oil groove in it or you can look into the AMS style balance shaft kit that doesnt use a stub shaft. To do a balance shaft removal, you need to take off the front case which means pulling both balance shafts, dropping exhaust, tcase, and oil pan.

Next, you should buy all new gaskets like intake, exhaust, valave cover, etc. Use all new seals for the fuel injectors (3 rubber seals an injector)

I am sure I am forgetting small things here and there so if you have any questions, let me know. I covered the basics for you.

Goodluck

the job is all done, i had the head resurfaced but besides that all of the labour was done by myself an a friend, i didnt get the valves machine seated so ill just take it easy on it until they break in. anyone interested in pics of the build?

actually the compression is fine, it runs and idles fairly well, it will just take some breaking in of the valves before it runs perfect.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back