The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

please help high idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93 gsx skidz

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 15, 2012
masontown, Pennsylvania
i just replaced 2 valves in the 2nd cylinder and put the head back on with a mls gasket and new head bolts and put it in time and started it and it reved over 2000 rpms and died and it wont even stay running if i try to give it gas. however it doesnt miss at all and it revs really smooth but it wont stay running. what could it be i have stock intercooler and stock intercooler hoses not piping so i dont think it is a boost leak because i checked for where it could leak but i dont know how to do a real test and the same thing with vacuum what could it be.

40 percent of dsm problems on here is either a boost leak or vacuum leak and yes it can the ecu you is trying to adjust for the leak and its making the car running funny

Starts up runs then dies whether you give it gas or not. Sounds like, the cam sensor. Though usually doesn't run smooth when this happens. I would check it out.

2000rpm idle when cold isn't a problem unless it never drops,as the car warms up.

A vacuum leak is what you need to be looking for at idle as your not boosting so it won't be pushing air out any where.

I had a similar problem and it ended up being my IAC. My car would start and run and would not idle, nor wold it stay running at all. It also revved up to around 2k then stop idling. Give it a try, maybe its not the issue, but give it a try. Take the IAC off and check the tip of it to see if it's burnt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Starts up runs then dies whether you give it gas or not. Sounds like, the cam sensor. Though usually doesn't run smooth when this happens. I would check it out.

2000rpm idle when cold isn't a problem unless it never drops,as the car warms up.

A vacuum leak is what you need to be looking for at idle as your not boosting so it won't be pushing air out any where.

By doing a BLT it will push air out of a vacumm leak so you can find it. You dont need to be boosting for it to have a boost leak and still run like crap. :thumb:

Nah duh! Thanks captain obvious. But he said he didn't know how to do a real test so checking for a vacuum would be easier for him.

In the second post it says how to do one so hopefully he read up and is capable of doing one himself, as every DSMer should learn as its an important part of our cars. No need for the rude comments.

In the second post it says how to do one so hopefully he read up and is capable of doing one himself, as every DSMer should learn as its an important part of our cars. No need for the rude comments.

well I apologize and yes your right it is an important part to learn. But that was my reasoning for telling him to check for vacuum.leaks. Rude comment deleted.

first check your throttle cable adjustment. when the motor is idling high attempt to adjust the throttle cable. make sure you do not have a positive crankase ventilation leak. you can attempt to spray the throttle body area while the motor is running with carburettor cleaner. if the idle change higher or lower concentrate on that spot and you might get lucky. good luck.

make sure the injector seals did not fall off when you remove and replace the fuel rail.

the car starts for literally 5 seconds and dies in those 5 seconds the car revs then dies. now. when i put the head on i used a mls gasket i torqued to 80 ft lbs. then i put the intake on after i plugged a hole on the intake side of the head where the intake bolts on. i didnt have a plug so i used a bolt and i cut the bolt off a grinded it smooth taking of a tiny bit at a time. could i have messed up the intake port in that area to where the gasket wont seal and if so would that have caused it and how do i check it. also i marked where the cam angle sensor went before i took it off should i try adjusting it?

also the hole i plugged had something to do with the egr valve which i deleted.

the car starts for literally 5 seconds and dies in those 5 seconds the car revs then dies. now. when i put the head on i used a mls gasket i torqued to 80 ft lbs. then i put the intake on after i plugged a hole on the intake side of the head where the intake bolts on. i didnt have a plug so i used a bolt and i cut the bolt off a grinded it smooth taking of a tiny bit at a time. could i have messed up the intake port in that area to where the gasket wont seal and if so would that have caused it and how do i check it. also i marked where the cam angle sensor went before i took it off should i try adjusting it?

also the hole i plugged had something to do with the egr valve which i deleted.

my 2g did this when my cam sensor went out. But this is a 93 correct? So no cam sensor.

You plugged the egr port with a bolt? did you use a block off plate or just unhook?

i used a block off plate and gasket. also it is a 6 bolt swap but the 7 bolt that was in it wasnt a true 2g 7 bolt they are different. the 2g i believe has a crank and cam sensor seperate but the 1 and a half gens had a 7 bolt with a cam angle sensor with the crank built into it just like the 6 bolt. now the car ran fine until i bent valves then i changed the valves and made sure they were seated right and plugged that hole then threw it back together and got the mess im in with it now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back