The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

MPI Clicking noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90T5I

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2008
Grants pass, Oregon
so my MPI is clicking on and off. it will click and the car will die while driving then click itself back on and saves itself. and sometimes it has trouble starting. it seems to be more prone when it rain. so i think its something electric. i kno its not the ECU because i replaced it with a new one thinking that that was the problem. i took out the relay and cleaned the points to see if i could get a better conection but that didnt help. im at a loss here. i looked at some other threads on this but nothing was of much help outside the ecu being the case.

Are you talking about after start up? Like you hear a clicking for a couple seconds, then stops, then a couple more clicks, then stops maybe once more, but goes away after 30 seconds to a minute? Thats just the Mitsubishi tick my friend. Mine does this but i dont have problems with start up...that could maybe due to your plugs.

Are you talking about after start up? Like you hear a clicking for a couple seconds, then stops, then a couple more clicks, then stops maybe once more, but goes away after 30 seconds to a minute? Thats just the Mitsubishi tick my friend. Mine does this but i dont have problems with start up...that could maybe due to your plugs.

while the car is running the relay will click it self on and off and u can feel the car jerk from dying then restarting.

I have had several mitsus do this and not just dsms. All of them are the relay itself. It is a good thing to check for proper chassis ground from the ecu , but I would replace the mfi relay itself. goodluck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back