The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECU? No MPI clicking noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
Just swapped in a 6 bolt into my 95 tsi. I previously did the 1g CAS mod with my 7 bolt. I got the motor in the car today and it will crank but it will not fire. I tested for spark and i am not getting any.

I have also checked my fuses, made sure things that. Eedex to be plugged in were plugged in, etc. the coil pack, cas, power transistor, coolant temp sensor, and MAF are plugged in. I didnt plug everything in because i want to make sure it runs with no leaks before i put everything else on. Alternator and cooling system is not hooked up either.

Upon trying to diagnose this no start issue, i noticed the CEL does not illuminate when the key is turned on. I know it is supposed to come on for a few seconds and then shut back off. I am hoping my ECU is bad.

I also noticed my MPI relay does not make its clicking noise. I was expecting to hear it when i hooked up the terminals to my battery but did not hear it then either.

If my ecu is bad, will that affect the MPI clicking noise? I pulled my ecu apart and i didnt see anything abnormal.

There is a thread on Here I think it's named " no cel no startup" sounds a lot like your problem. I'm not telling you to use the search, my I pad just wouldn't let me copy and paste the link. I assume you want your ECM to be bad so you have a legit reason to get it rebuilt and socketed?

There is a thread on Here I think it's named " no cel no startup" sounds a lot like your problem. I'm not telling you to use the search, my I pad just wouldn't let me copy and paste the link. I assume you want your ECM to be bad so you have a legit reason to get it rebuilt and socketed?

I did search as always. Everytime I read through a thread, all they testing and diagnosing leads to a bad ECU and then they say "I will keep yall posted and let you know if the ecu fixes it" and then they never post back.

I want the ECU to be bad so I can just plug in a new one and get the car on the road. Im in no position to be buying ECMlink. However, a vendor on my site is making plug and play harnesses to use an Evo ECU in a DSM without doing all the wiring. So i guess i could just buy an Evo 8 ecu and use that. I just need the car done. I continueously make the mistake of using a DSM as a DD. I will be the first to admit I have an addiction and that is by no means a good thing.

Did a couple more tests. Plugged in a spare CAS and spun the spinner thing with the key on. Injectors didnt make any noise. Plugged in a spare injector and turned the car over. No fuel came out. So i have no spark and no fuel. Also, with the key on, the stock boost gauge doesnt move like it should. Ecu is definitely screwed...i hope.

Yeah sounds like it. I thought I read somewhere that that the evo8 swap would only work with a stock black box ecu? I haven't researched it or anything so you're definitely more of an expert on it than me. Good luck with it though I hope it all works out.

You can put an Evo 8 ECU in a 1g if you did the proper wiring. My friend put a 2g ecu in a 1g. You have to switch pins around, do some soldering, splicing, etc. but if you know what your doing, it isnt very hard. I however, dont know jack about wiring. So if i get a plug and play adaptor harness, all i have to do is unplug the 2g ecu, plug in the adaptor harness, and plug the other end to the Evo 8 ECU.

Using a black box ECU is just as easy but the Evo 8 ecus are obviously a much better platform to tune from. For example, they have higher resolution maps than any 2g ecu.

But yes, you can put an Evo 8 ecu in any turbo 2g. Not just the ones that are equipped with the black box ecu from the factory.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back