The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Help me decide!! 57 trim or GT35R

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom04841

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2004
Rockland, Maine
Buying myself an early xmas present. I can't decide. Anyone with first hand knowledge? Pros and Cons?

450 hp. FOR NOW. DD/ occasional track appearance. I know i need bigger injectors, thats a given.

But i do want to grow somemore eventually.

I run a GT 3076, you will have more usable "street" power with a GT 30 or 50 trim. (most GT 30s are 57s)

unless you have a "race car" pass on the GT 35. these turbos arent really very fast in the 15 to 22 psi zone.

a guy with an evo 3 would probalby out run me @ 15 psi, at 22 psi however his ass is mine!

I run a GT 3076, you will have more usable "street" power with a GT 30 or 50 trim. (most GT 30s are 57s)

unless you have a "race car" pass on the GT 35. these turbos arent really very fast in the 15 to 22 psi zone.

a guy with an evo 3 would probalby out run me @ 15 psi, at 22 psi however his ass is mine!

Is this the PTE bolt on GT 3076 that your running & is it the .48 a/r housing? How do you like this turbo, I was thinking about the PTE 5031 but then I saw the 30R which looks interesting as well. How much boost do you normally run on the street & when does this turbo spool? I saw this turbo listed on Dejontool, where it comes with the .48 A/R housing, this seemed kinda small when the other PTE bolt-ons in the same range use the larger .63 A/R. Do you think this smaller A/R is restricting your top end or do they put it in the smaller A/R becasue the GT turbine wheel is supposed to flow better?

Is this the PTE bolt on GT 3076 that your running & is it the .48 a/r housing? How do you like this turbo, I was thinking about the PTE 5031 but then I saw the 30R which looks interesting as well. How much boost do you normally run on the street & when does this turbo spool? I saw this turbo listed on Dejontool, where it comes with the .48 A/R housing, this seemed kinda small when the other PTE bolt-ons in the same range use the larger .63 A/R. Do you think this smaller A/R is restricting your top end or do they put it in the smaller A/R becasue the GT turbine wheel is supposed to flow better?

DARN GOOD QUESTION...i've been looking at the 3071 and 3076 and fp3052 but don't really know how to compare them as far as efficiency and flow/hp numbers. i;m in the same boat as you i think...i kinda want a 50 trim but would like something a little different just to not be so common, and maybe have a little room for growth later on...

I plan on running atleast 22 psi with w/i. What rpm does the gt35r see full spool?

The .48 A/R, from what ive discovered after the purchase is that it starts to choke at 25 to 26 psi! so if your wanted somthing capable of 30 psi or more get a .63 or larger A/R.

Mine reaches full spool at 3800 to 4K rpms, about the same as my old 50 trim.

on the evo forms theres a comparison of the GT 30 vs. the GT 35. and is comfims what I have seem with mine. which is full power in the 4K rpm range and up. where the GT 35 made 45 hp more peak power @ 22 psi but not until 6800 rpm.

the PTE 5031 bb with the .63 A/R I think would have been a better choice form me.

but the Dejon tool 3076 Is a good turbo, Ill just run it until I wear it out. RRE told me that a .63 A/R housing is avalible, so maybe at tax time Ill splurge for a new one.

I have had very good luck with the GT35R. I was able to make 530whp at 22psi. Very good pump gas turbo.

The 57trim is old school technology. Personally I try and stay away from them.

My 2 Cents!

Jake

I have had very good luck with the GT35R. I was able to make 530whp at 22psi. Very good pump gas turbo.

The 57trim is old school technology. Personally I try and stay away from them.

My 2 Cents!

Jake

Last time I checked the 35 was still a medium frame and a 56 trim turbo.

help me understand your postWTF

Last time I checked the 35 was still a medium frame and a 56 trim turbo.

help me understand your postWTF

I have had many-a-turbos on this car, and installed MANY more on other peoples cars. The current setup I have is the latest step in my cars evolution. :thumb:

I hope that clears it up... Unless I am understanding wrong?

I think he wasn't sure about what you meant by the GT35r being newer technology than the old 57 trim. The GT35r is of course BB, but the wheels in the GT35r are also more advanced.

I think he wasn't sure about what you meant by the GT35r being newer technology than the old 57 trim. The GT35r is of course BB, but the wheels in the GT35r are also more advanced.

I think I Know what he was getting at, I was just looking for a more substaital resoponce over "old school" technology.

just for the sake of the original poster to help him decide on a turbo!

If you have the bankroll, I'm with everyone else go with the GT35.

I liked the 50 trim to4e wheel, but none of the other ones up through the 60-1. I ran a 60-1 for a while and it was alright, but I wouldn't go out of my way to run one. The Red allegedly had a 60-1 and did very well for people though. ;) If the green was a 50 trim, and the red was a 60-1, you have to also ask yourself why FP dropped all the wheels in between from the frank series turbos.

The 35R is an awesome turbo, but personally, I feel it's a little too big on a 2 liter. You have to run a lot of boost to make full use of its capacity. For the average DSMer that won't go over 30 psi, the 3076 makes a lot more sense, since that's about where it will max out with the usual mods (cams, namely). On a 2.3/4 however, the 35R maxes out right around 30 psi, and reaches full boost around 4k, so that is a perfect match in my humble opinion and personal experience.

I also agree that the 57 trim vs 35r is an odd comparison, they are pretty different in size. The main problem though is that there really aren't any options in between the 3076 and the 35R, and there are about 13 lbs/min and 130 hp between those two turbos. The 60-1 fits in the middle with around 61 lbs/min capacity, but that's an old wheel and not my favorite, but it does work. I'd personally like to see a 58-60 lb/min modern garret wheel for a 2 liter. Maybe something is out that I haven't seen, or that I'm forgetting, since I haven't slept in like 40 hours...

I'd personally like to see a 58-60 lb/min modern garret wheel for a 2 liter. Maybe something is out that I haven't seen, or that I'm forgetting, since I haven't slept in like 40 hours...

There's the new Borg Warner S256 that bullseye offers in their bolt on housing as well as other style housings, its rated at 58lb/min :thumb: I have been looking for a comp map of it but haven't come across one yet. Supposed to spool up fast for a turbo of that size because of the extended tip technology.

Technically, the S256 is the "50 trim" BW that's getting all the attention and flows 58 lb/min. The S258 is using the larger S300 series compressor housing, making it a tighter fit. The "56" and "58" represent the inducer size, not airflow. I'm not sure what an S258 will support though they claim 600whp. I'll be trying an S256 as soon as it arrives since I'm in the same boat of wanting a modern wheel design that falls in between the 3076R and 3582R (I suppose if you wanted to stay Garrett you could use a 3082R - same CHRA as the FP3065).

Here's the map for the S256:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Funny you guys mention that BW turbo, there was just some mention of it on the EVO forums, and buschur is coming out with an EVO kit using it.

I'm not a big fan of the 3082/3065 turbos, just because if you try to use all of that compressor wheel the turbine side has proven to become a restriction. It's a half way turbo, but still too much of a compromise for me. I had considered using the BR kit for the EVO with the 3065 but then changed my mind for this reason. I think it really is true, ignornace is bliss. :D

Funny you guys mention that BW turbo, there was just some mention of it on the EVO forums, and buschur is coming out with an EVO kit using it.

I'm not a big fan of the 3082/3065 turbos, just because if you try to use all of that compressor wheel the turbine side has proven to become a restriction. It's a half way turbo, but still too much of a compromise for me. I had considered using the BR kit for the EVO with the 3065 but then changed my mind for this reason. I think it really is true, ignornace is bliss. :D

Hmmm, it's weird that you guys all have reverse impressions of the gt30r and 35r compared to what the compressor/turbine maps imply.

Comparing the two broadest points in each island, it seems that the gt35r's compressor would have the most usable range some where in the 18 psi range where as the gt30r's is at around 26 psi.

And here, it appears that the gt30r turbine wheel is much more efficient within it's operational range, however at it's limits it turns off abruptly.

Obviously the gt35r turbine has more overall flow because of it's size, but unless you need the ultimate flow possible (gt35r turbine with 1.05 a/r) any of the 30r turbines plus 1 size flow equal to the 35r counterpart, but with lower pressure ratio's. For instance the 30r .82 flows overall the same as the 35r .63, with less pressure across the field accept for at the top of the curve.

Course maybe I am interpreting these maps inaccurately.

Your interpretations of the maps seem fine to me. But when you put the turbos on cars and compare them you'll most likely come to the same conclusion others have. I did add the disclaimer in my previous post that it only really becomes a problem if you try to max out the compressor wheel, which of course most poeple won't end up doing when it comes down to it. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back