The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Hack the system! Hack the world!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningGSX said:
Not to mention the ~$500 price difference between DSMLink and burning your own eproms.IMO if you're smart enough to tune your vehicle via the DSMLink, you're smart enough to do it via burning your own eproms.

I think there will always be those of us that will want to excercise their grey matter reading thru years of ECU dissassembly / theory on the ECU lists and use their Engineering degrees build their own home-grown eProms. I don't fall into that category.

For me I'd rather be spending that time fine tuning my car with a tool that is still way ahead (in features and support) than what can currently be constructed piecemail.

For $565 the DSMLink gives you a datalogger with flexibility to log other accessories, allows eProm reflashes "on the fly" and gives you all the optional trick features (studder launch, no fuel cut, PK..etc) by the two formost experts in the DSM ECU Tuning field. Best of all this product used tried and tested code.. not some trial-error reverse-engineered Beta code that a "hacker" came up with that may/may not work in your application.. and at worst could kill your car (if you're not so smart :p ).

If this product was avail prior to my spending $600 on a SAFC / Custom eProm / TMO Datalogger.. it would be in my car now and It'd be much faster :)

Apparently you don't realize just how easy it is to eprom tune these days.With free programs such as Evilscribe or TunerPro, editing a 1g bin file is nearly the same level of difficulty as is the DSMLink.Even without said programs, a person with average intelligence and common sense could spend a few hours on the DSM-ECU list and come out with more than enough know-how to program a chip themselves.If you make a mistake, 99% of the time your vehicle just won't start, its every bit as easy to kill your car with the usual tuning devices, as it is burning your own eproms.

What exactly would you call DSMLink other than "some trial-error reverse-engineered Beta code that a "hacker" came up"? The makers of the 'Link did the same trial and error/reverse engineering/hacking that you speak down upon.Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking down upon DSMLink in the least, it has proven to be an excellent product.It just doesn't seem worth it(to me at least) to pay $500 for the ability to log, and to save 5 mins not having to reburn a chip when you choose to make an update to your vehicles' tune.

LightningGSX said:
What exactly would you call DSMLink other than "some trial-error reverse-engineered Beta code that a "hacker" came up"? The makers of the 'Link did the same trial and error/reverse engineering/hacking that you speak down upon.Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking down upon DSMLink in the least, it has proven to be an excellent product.It just doesn't seem worth it(to me at least) to pay $500 for the ability to log, and to save 5 mins not having to reburn a chip when you choose to make an update to your vehicles' tune.

Sorry.. I'm not speaking down on anyone as have supported (from nearly the start) Jeff O's custom chips. I'm also a member of the DSM ECU list and support the dissemination of ECU code that was it's purpose (not that I'm of much help being a non-techie).

My point is that the DSM-Link has alot more to it than I think you're giving credit for. Dave and Tom have had this fully supported package for many years and continually offer new updates. They are also the folks that have helped Jeff (and others) on the ECU list when they've needed it.

As such.. I've always supported those in the DSM community that have furthered the cause which is why I think $500 is not such a bad deal.

Again to each their own.

I agree fully, to each his own.But I must add, other than the ability to RTP and log, the DSMLink offers nothing, that a programmer/hexeditor/info from the DSM-ECU list doesn't.If thats worth $500 to you, I have nothing against you.But you shouldn't state an opinion that could discourage others from finding out for themselves.

does the Evilscribe site work for anyone?

alsocould anyone send me a link so i could download it or email me a copy they might have?

thanks

Snail Tuning said:
does the Evilscribe site work for anyone?

alsocould anyone send me a link so i could download it or email me a copy they might have?

thanks
Just Google it.Theres at least a few places to DL it.

DSM90AWD said:
I think there will always be those of us that will want to excercise their grey matter reading thru years of ECU dissassembly / theory on the ECU lists and use their Engineering degrees build their own home-grown eProms. I don't fall into that category.

For me I'd rather be spending that time fine tuning my car with a tool that is still way ahead (in features and support) than what can currently be constructed piecemail.

For $565 the DSMLink gives you a datalogger with flexibility to log other accessories, allows eProm reflashes "on the fly" and gives you all the optional trick features (studder launch, no fuel cut, PK..etc) by the two formost experts in the DSM ECU Tuning field. Best of all this product used tried and tested code.. not some trial-error reverse-engineered Beta code that a "hacker" came up with that may/may not work in your application.. and at worst could kill your car (if you're not so smart :p ).

If this product was avail prior to my spending $600 on a SAFC / Custom eProm / TMO Datalogger.. it would be in my car now and It'd be much faster :)

As far as 2Gs, I totally agree. $125 for pocketlogger + ~$100 for Craig Moates burner (just one example) is a lot less than DSMLink. But how much do you value your time? Going through endless archives trying to find that 10% of the posts at the DSM-ECU list that actualy talk about 2Gs then trying to learn from scratch, with no engineering or computer science degree, how to take a chip that came from the factory, tear it down, and what/how to rewrite what you want changed just isn't worth it to me.

I mastered the 1G chips in a few hours but like it was mentioned before, Evilscribe makes that beyond simple.

And let's face it, when you're first starting out no one will help you. Post anything like "I have no clue where to begin" and the experienced tuners say "search and read." So you search for where to begin and you find 200 other users asking the same question and getting the same response.

I don't have time to search through endless archives and learn everything I need to match DSMLinks features. I take 18 units at college, have a 3 month old, and work when I'm not doing homework. For me, the extra $340 above a logger and burner is worth the ease and worth skipping all of the research.

I'll get there some day though, yesterday I learned how to invert the CAS signal on a 95 eprom chip :) For now I'll take advantage of the extra $340 I had at the time

I'm going to be doing this to help control the 720's and 2G MAS on my new setup. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Coup D E'Tat said:
I'm going to be doing this to help control the 720's and 2G MAS on my new setup. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
As long as you don't get confused by the address offsets you'll be fine and it will work great. I got the tee-shirt.

Steve

steve said:
I assume you mean convert to speed density.

Check http://home.meatchunks.com/~smaug/ecu/mapsetup.htm

Steve

That's my site, and all the code is open-source on dsm-ecu. The code is 1g only, since I don't have a 2g, but if you knew how to read assembly and had a some time to kill you could probably make it work on a 2g. The DSMLink guys could do it no problem.

The car is my daily driver and rallyx car, and runs well. I have an Ostrich rom emulator mounted in the ECU, so I can just plug my laptop onto the car's USB port and adjust full scale maps of fuel, timing, VE and boost while driving. This makes it really easy to tune.

I would say thanks to the Ostrich, using a rom emulator and live map editor is way beyond DSMLink in terms of functionality. You can edit the full maps, instead of just AFC-style sliders. The rom emulator software is all freeware though, so there is NO support.

-Nick

4twenty said:
Just pull out your bios chip and put in blank chip. Then use a bios flashing program to flash file to chip. Then you put your bios chip back and your all set. I used to do this to program one for my xbox.
Jared

what computer boots without a bios chip? :rolleyes:

my dual bios board will. Thats the function of it. If your main BIOS goes dead, you can boot from the secondary, and reflash the main.

Bohrn said:
my dual bios board will. Thats the function of it. If your main BIOS goes dead, you can boot from the secondary, and reflash the main.

ah ok

unior said:

atwenty said:
Just pull out your bios chip and put in blank chip. Then use a bios flashing program to flash file to chip. Then you put your bios chip back and your all set. I used to do this to program one for my xbox.
Jared

LOL, been there, done that....I've since bought Moate's USB eprom burner... :thumb:

Sorry guys, I know how much it's going to upset you all, but I'm going with DSMLink instead of burning my own.

:p

anymore info on this?

i am entering back into the world of dsms and i just come from hondas and chipping my own ecu's was nice
and it looks like the dsm world is making a apperance at trying to do it to

if you guys need me to test anything let me know

i have a ostrich and burn1 chip burner

thanks
richie

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back