The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

goes into 1st gear w/o clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhipmastaFlex

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2003
Hollywood_Florida
i have noticed recently when i am slowing down to come up to a stop sign, as i slow down to about 3 or 4 mph, i move the shifter to go into first gear, and it collapes into first very easily, whereas normally it is stubborn. it feels like it goes into 1st before i engaged the clutch. so i tried it once with out the clutch and sure enough, it fell into gear, then wanted to stall. i slammed the clutch in and took off again. i am 99% sure this isn't normal, so what would cause this?

this is perfectly normal though I personally suggest not doing it too often. The reason for this is that when you're coming to a stop the output shaft of the trans (connected to the wheels) rotates at exactly the right speed for for first gear to engage (first/second synchro sleeve are able to slide to it's first gear positon thereby linking the input and output shaft together). So there is no cause for concern just try to avoid putting into first gear before coming to a stop and always use the clutch when shifting gears (unless you are skilled in clutchless shifting)

Originally posted by crazydude
always use the clutch when shifting gears (unless you are skilled in clutchless shifting)

this is my specialty :p

just making sure, thanks

Originally posted by WhipmastaFlex
as i slow down to about 3 or 4 mph, i move the shifter to go into first gear, and it collapes into first very easily
It'll do that every time.... until the one time you miss it.
I can't see even _trying_ to power-shift with a cable-operated gearbox. All the less with the conditionally-fragile DSM box.

I do hope your luck holds, though:thumb:

I shift gears from upper gears into 2nd ALL the time without a clutch. If im in 5th and slow down enough, im able to pull the car right into neutral with no use of the clutch, everything has to be at the right speed in the tranny. Anyways, I will put the car into 2nd gear coming into parking lots without a clutch all the time. If im going a little too fast, it wont go in, a little too slow, and it wont go in...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back