The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Grinding going into 1st gear.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girvin

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 28, 2003
Williams Lake, B.C._Canada
Just did my first rebuild on my 90 fwd turbo. Shifts like butter but grinds going into 1st and reverse sometimes? could this be a clutch problem or would it be the tranny? When it does grind...I can double clutch and it goes in smoothly most of the time. Almost seems like the clutch isnt disengauging all the way. If so, it should be happening in all gears, correct?

You would think so, check ur clutch fluid and make sure its all hooked up right. Also, check if you put the bolt back in that goes into the reverse gear rod. Anyone else have any more ideas?

Fluid is fine, I replaced the slave cylinder, clutch fork, clutch master cylinder, checked for leaks, and adjusted the clutch. Car only seems to be hard to get in 1st without grinding when its cold now.

yeah man i have a laser nt and some times it a bi*** t oget it into gear when its cool when it warms up it goes fine just age i guess

LOL do you race a stick or drive a stick or anything that involves a clutch... its taking the load of the trans while moving then applying the load again at higher engine speeds to allow for faster times betweetn gears. its not recommended its alot of wear and tear.

like this...

clutch out going fast hit like 4 grand second gear

push clutch in while in second gear....

apply guick throttle response.

release clutch rpms move up twards 5 grand....

faster then just riding the gear out....

double clutch to much... worn clutch

I don't know what that's supposed to be, but it isn't double-clutching.

Double-clutching is, when downshifting, thus:

4th gear, decellerating. Push in clutch. Shift to neutral. Blip throttle to the rpms the engine will be turning when at that road speed in 3rd. Push in clutch, and slide into 3rd. Let out clutch.

What you're doing is getting the crank, flywheel, and transmission layshaft up to the speed it'll be turning when you downshift by making the engine bring all the bits up to speed instead of making the synchromesh brake haul up the transmission, and making the slip of the clutch bring up the crank.

The shortcut used to be called "double-kicking" in my neck of the woods, but apparently the term now is "speed-matching". In this, you just blip the throttle as you're holding in the clutch. This at least brings the crank up to speed, but the synchros are still having to manage the spinning mass of the gearbox.

If you ever drive a vehicle without synchros -or something so old it doesn't even have constant-mesh gears- you may also have to double-clutch your upshifts. It's the same idea, except that you leave out the throttle blip in neutral and instead allow the engine to coast-down while engaged in neutral to minimize gear clash (grinding).

With very little practice, double-clutching becomes as second nature as all the other tasks of driving. And your minimally-used synchros will love you for it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back