The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fiav?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM "BISH"

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2008
Erlanger, Kentucky
i have quite a few questions regarding the FIAV gasket or whatever iti s that people are talking about. what exactly is FIAV? and where is it located? i know its somewhere on the throttle body.

The FIAV (Fast Idle Air Valve) is located in the bottom of the throttle body next to the ISC (Idle Speed Control) motor where the coolant lines attach.

It's a wax pellet operated air bypass valve that expands and contracts based on the temp of the engine coolant that surrounds it. When the engine is cold the pellet shrinks and opens up the bypass allowing more air to enter the intake manifold and the engine speed to increase. As the coolant heats up the pellet expands and closes down the bypass lowering the engine speed. At normal operating temps (about 187F) the FIAV should be closed and only the ISC and BISS should be allowing air to bypass the throttle plate.

Some people call the whole lower part of the throttle body the FIAV but the lower casting supports both the FIAV in the coolant passages and the ISC. There is a gasket between the top and bottom of the TB to keep the coolant contained called the FIAV gasket. When the gasket fails it floods the throttle body.

so if the gasket was bad i would kno. there would be coolant in font of my throttle plate if i took the intake pipe off?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back