The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Emissions Testing Can't Connect to OBDII

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98GSX-WI

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2004
Kenosha, Wisconsin
I've taken my 1998 Eclipse to two different emission testing centers and they both tried to connect to my OBDII port with two different cables / systems -- with no luck. Their computer can't connect to my OBDII.

But -- I can connect to the ECM using ECMLink v.3 with no problems, and a shop that I was recently at successfully connected their scan tool to my OBDII port.

The Emission Operator said that they use Pin 5 and that the scan tool or other things that I've connected successfully with are probably using a different pin. Does this make sense?

One think that I thought of....is that I didn't mention to them that I have a ECM from a 1995 in my car. Would that matter for purposes of their system connecting?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I had to get a 30 day temporary plate....and they said that I must get the OBDII port working for me to pass and get my car registered.

Thanks in advance! :pray:

Yes having the 95 ecu in your car WILL NOT allow it to scan no matter how many shops you go to. I have the same issue along with everyone else. My last sticker cost me $100. Good luck.

EDIT: You can get a legit inspection if you have it inspected while its on a dyno (for the purpose of the inspection)...I don't remember exactly what thats called but its probably more expensive then other alternatives.

Sorry for the bad news.

Okay, that was a fast PROBLEM RESOLVED I think. Over at ECMLink forum, they responded right away to indicate that I may have checked the box in MISC settings in ECMLink v.3 that indicates to "Lock comm in ECMLink mode".

Well -- sure enough, I had that box checked. Now I just need to take it back to the emission place (the third times a charm, right?) :p

More detail on the Lock comm in ECMLink mode setting.
lockecmlinkmode [ECMTuning - wiki]

EDIT #1: Woah....I didn't see the previous post before I wrote my Problem Resolved post. I didn't have any trouble with emissions connecting to my 1995 ECM the last time that I was there. (Maybe you need to check your ECMLink setting?) :)

EDIT #2: BTW, I asked them if they could do a different type of emissions test, where they put it on the dyno and check the exhaust. They said "NO" -- and that they removed the dynos from there building, because it's all electronic there now.

Last edited:
Okay, that was a fast PROBLEM RESOLVED I think. Over at ECMLink forum, they responded right away to indicate that I may have checked the box in MISC settings in ECMLink v.3 that indicates to "Lock comm in ECMLink mode".

Well -- sure enough, I had that box checked. Now I just need to take it back to the emission place (the third times a charm, right?) :p

More detail on the Lock comm in ECMLink mode setting.
lockecmlinkmode [ECMTuning - wiki]

EDIT #1: Woah....I didn't see the previous post before I wrote my Problem Resolved post. I didn't have any trouble with emissions connecting to my 1995 ECM the last time that I was there. (Maybe you need to check your ECMLink setting?) :)

EDIT #2: BTW, I asked them if they could do a different type of emissions test, where they put it on the dyno and check the exhaust. They said "NO" -- and that they removed the dynos from there building, because it's all electronic there now.

Back when I needed my vehicle inspected last time I was on an custom eprom chip so I didnt have ECMLink settings. I have it now and I'm going to try to figure out if mine is set up wrong or not. Sorry for the misinformation I didn't know ECMlink had a fix for it. Thanks for the fix :)

Edit: Let us know if it connects. (also I finally got the wiki link to open)

Yep, that was the problem. I took my car for emissions testing Friday morning with the box unchecked, and it connected successfully to the system and passed.

As you have discovered the default is "Lock comm in ECMLink mode" to speed up the connection and improve reliability normally since most of the time your going to be connecting to your laptop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back