The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DSMLink and OBDII Emissions Testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyshoe

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 10, 2005
New Holland, Pennsylvania
I am planning on upgrading my stock fuel injectors and going with DSMLink to control them. I live in a locale that requires emissions testing, which, for my vehicle, involves communicating over the ECU's OBDII diagnostic port. In order to use DSMLink, of course, I will have to replace my original '96 ECU with a '95 EPROM ECU. So I was wondering if any users of DSMLink that require OBDII emissions testing have had any problems passing emissions testing due to using a "DSMLinked" ECU? I don't foresee any problems based on what I've read about DSMLink, but just wanted to hear from actual DSMLink users in a similar situation. Thank you for any input you can provide.

You'll be just fine.

Steven

Thanks, Steven. I guess I'm now ready to take the big plunge and start tuning!:rocks:

zippyshoe said:
I am planning on upgrading my stock fuel injectors and going with DSMLink to control them. I live in a locale that requires emissions testing, which, for my vehicle, involves communicating over the ECU's OBDII diagnostic port. In order to use DSMLink, of course, I will have to replace my original '96 ECU with a '95 EPROM ECU. So I was wondering if any users of DSMLink that require OBDII emissions testing have had any problems passing emissions testing due to using a "DSMLinked" ECU? I don't foresee any problems based on what I've read about DSMLink, but just wanted to hear from actual DSMLink users in a similar situation. Thank you for any input you can provide.

The only issue you might run into is when you either swap a 1G CAS onto your car (if you did a 1G swap, 1G head swap, etc.), or start eliminating certain emission related equipment from the car. DSMLink has the ability to ignore certain events that would normally set off a check engine light. In the event that you have any of these event checks disabled, an OBD-II scan would indicate that particular OBD-II test as either Non-Applicable, or Not Complete. Either case would put up a flag.

However, it is my understanding that under very specific circumstances, some of these tests can be set to Complete even if the hardware is not currently attatched or functioning. Please do not ask me about this, and do not ask about this on tuners. It is well documented in other places.

Matt.

Enraged78 said:
However, it is my understanding that under very specific circumstances, some of these tests can be set to Complete even if the hardware is not currently attatched or functioning. Please do not ask me about this, and do not ask about this on tuners. It is well documented in other places.

Matt.

As far as I know Dsmlink can't set these obdII scans to complete when they are not, as that would be illegal. Not to say they can't do it, but they won't. If you have the knowledge I'm pretty sure you can modify the source code to do this though. It does include a feature that tells you the status of the obdII tests so you know that they are complete before you go in for the test.

Thanks Enraged78 and daren_p for this helpful information. I think I should be good to go - I've retained all of my emission-related equipment, no CEL now that I've replaced my faulty front O2 sensor, and I'm still on the original 2G engine (with original 2G CAS). Thanks again!:thumb:

I just went through the inspection process 2 weekends ago with DSMLink in my 98. Passed with flying colors. We run OBD2 plus the sniffer in the tailpipe in Houston, Texas.

I have full emissions on my car...high flow cat included. Couldn't tell you anything otherwise.

Others are correct that there is a feature inside Link to let you know the status of your sensors.

I know for sure that there is NO WAY to set a sensor as complete inside Link and Tom or Dave will not do it either. That could open up some serious trouble for them and would be plain stupid on their part to do so.

As stated, that's not to say that if someone was knowledgeable in that area that I'm sure it could be done. I just wouldn't suggest it.

My car had issues even with the link, a few "complete" and a few "incomplete" Get the palm version if you have trouble. You will know what i mean if you have to do this. ;)

NewB2dsm said:
My car had issues even with the link, a few "complete" and a few "incomplete" Get the palm version if you have trouble. You will know what i mean if you have to do this. ;)

If you have a fast enough laptop, you could IN THEORY do this with the palm emulator using your DSMLink cable. It won't be fast enough to change much, but if there were a way to change certain settings....

But I don't know anything about that. That's illegal and I would never advocate something like that, especially on a public bulletin board.

We have to pass a sniffer test and OBD-II test if your car is on the 'cusp date' here in CT. 1995 is considered a cusp date. I had to pass both.

Zippy - Good luck with DSMLink, I'm sure you will enjoy it as we all have. Tom and Dave also do a very good job of supporting the application, and the DSMLink forums are a wealth of information.

Matt.

We HAD the OBDII test here in my area of Ohio for a while. I had no cat on, and went in with 0 emissions stuff in there. This is DSMLink in my 97 by the way. When they hooked up the computer to my car everything checked out just fine.

i thought i'd mention something real quick...

make sure your not in "dsmlink" mode when going to the emissions place. after disconnecting from your ecu, turn the key off completely and wait at least 5 seconds and that should put it back into normal mode.

:thumb:

97gstnick said:

make sure your not in "dsmlink" mode when going to the emissions place. after disconnecting from your ecu, turn the key off completely and wait at least 5 seconds and that should put it back into normal mode.

Excellent information we all forgot to mention!:thumb:

97gstnick said:

There was talk on the DSMLink forums that restarting the car resets the OBD2 status indicators, since sometimes the voltage drops too much during cranking (the ECU resets them if the voltage drops beyond a certain point). That's something to look into as well.

That is why it is sometimes recommended to have the emissions techs leave the car running. Of course, this makes it difficult to check your status indicators. You'll know if you have this problem though.

97gstnick said:

Yeah, I ran across this bit of information on DSMLink's website. Definitely good to keep in mind!:thumb:

Something made you fail emissions, but DSMLink wasn't the cause.

Lets just say the previous owner of my car could not get the car to pass emissions in NY due to all the checks reading "Not Ready".

I bought the car, hooked up the link, and passed emissions first time.

I dont know exactly how i plan on passing, but i have a 98 N/A spyder, with the 6bolt 4g63 swap. I have none of the emissions equipment on my car (EGR, Char Canister, etc.).

I have DSMLink, so as you stated above, I should be fine?

Im a bit confused, as some say they passed with DSMLink and no emissions and someone else said it's not possible.

I am in Connecticut, and only have the electronic test.

The answers can be found on the DSMLink support forums, if you search for them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back