The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Did 6-bolt swap, now can't sell the car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Race94

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2003
Puerto_Rico
Well my car broke down a while a go with crankwalk, i did the 6-bolt to fix it up but now my car has random misfire, smokes white sometimes, somethign with the TPS too and whatnot.

I'm selling my car dirt cheap $5,500 with many, many new extras and stuff but still no one wants it because of the problems it has, what the hell can i do?

I won't spend money on a DSMlink or whatnot since i am not able to sell the car anyways for a decent amount of money even if it's almost new from the outside and inside.

I seriously don't know what to do.

Either fix the problems or keep lowering the price until someone buys it.

Lunch_Box said:
Either fix the problems or keep lowering the price until someone buys it.
I concur (agree), or you could part out the car and sell it for cheap, at least by parting it out youll gain a decent amount of money back

random misfire, smokes white sometimes, somethign with the TPS too and "whatnot" .

I woulden't pay 5,500 for the car either, Who cares if it a 6bolt motor, It's a used car, It has more then a few problems, And needs work. You NEVER get what you put into it, I learned that more then once unfortunatly :toobad:

how can i solve these problems?

I've heard one needs DSM link or something for it to work correctly

Race94 said:
how can i solve these problems?

I've heard one needs DSM link or something for it to work correctly

That would be considered part of the 6bolt swap imho. Ive heard that you can disconnect the tps and get rid of the tps and random misfire codes but Im not sure because I have a 1g. Im sure if you search, it has been discussed here before.

Mines 6 Bolt swapped NO DSM LINK at all no random misfire, and no probs runs just like it did wtih the 7bolt motor.

hellotbone said:
Mines 6 Bolt swapped NO DSM LINK at all no random misfire, and no probs runs just like it did wtih the 7bolt motor.

Must be the angle of your muffler :rocks:

A guy that lives near me has a 6 bolt swap in his 2g and never ran right afterwards. Someone suggested he get dsmlink and now the car runs like a champ.

also i guy i know swapped in a 6 bolt in a 2g, it ran shitty, threw codes and whatnot, he installed DSMLink and now she runs like a champ, actually it runs a 12.1 1/4

The DSM link is BS there are lots of cars running around with 6bolts in them with no need for dsmlink. Mine and DSMJIM's for instance both have swapps neither have link. Its not totally necessary. I originally did the pot mod and had no RM I was getting it but it was from a bad coil. Changed the coils and eliminated the POT mod my car works perfect with just an AFC and tuning. There is something else wrong with your car or how you swapped it.

When you did the install did you swap the plug wires per the insturctions and also swap the injector wires in the ECU per instructions etc there is something missing dude. Check the TPS and get it fixed whitish smoke is almost always antifreeze and the random misfire is cured with the pot mod if you get it.

POT Mod
Get a 10k potiteniometer (sp?) from radio shack a volume adjust knob for those who don't know.
Find the barometric sensor line to the ecu and cut it. Solder in the pot using the center post and one of the side posts turn it all the way CCW if your car sputters and runs like crap wire up to the other post. Drive the car with it zeroed out. See if you get RM if you stil l do add some resistance. Keep adding and recheck your tuning each time till you don't get RM anymore. It does make the car run slightly leaner if you keep adding the resistance.

most of the problem with the 6 bolt swaps comes from the CAS. ive had 4 people that i know *recently* that did swaps and have the same problem. from what i have been researching, and done, is replace the CAS with a blacktop from a 93-94. it is rare to find and sometimes expensive, but it has helped plenty of cars in my area just with doing this. good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back