The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

At what point should you switch from bpr7's to bpr8s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94Jettameowpsst

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Mods in profile

Anyways, i cant get my car to stop knocking and its becoming more irritating the warmer it gets out. So now that im posting this i realize i have more than one question so here it goes.

At what point should you switch from bpr7's to bpr8s?
What parts do i need to build a map sensor for my car....or should i say how do i wire it in to the ecu?

Maybe i should invest in a wideband so i can actually see whats happening :p

DECODER: a "ground strap" is what the automotive world calls a "side electrode".

Heat Range = Ground Strap, the ground strap indicates the heat-range of the spark plug. If the "color" of the ground strap "changes" too close to the ground strap's end, (which is above the center electrode), then the heat-range is "too cold", meaning that the strap is losing heat too quickly to the base ring, and is not able to burn off deposits until near its end.

If the "color" of the strap changes near where it is welded/attached to the base ring (last thread ring), then it means that the plug heat-range is "too hot", because heat is not being transferred/cooled from the strap to the base ring quickly enough !!!! The strap might begin to act like a "glow-plug", eventually causing preignition and/or detonation later on.

Proper heat-range is when the "color" is at the halfway point on the strap, neither too cold or too hot.

(Color = meaning the evidence of heat/or lack of heat by the appearance dark vs lightened color of metal)

I just switched from 7's to 8's on my car, seemed to take away some knock.

Also the MAP is really simply, just wire it into the MDP wires. All the Info is on the Link forum.

Eh, speaking of link, i just talked to the person i got my car off of and he still refuses to transfer it into my name which is retarded but eh. I may switch to aem in the future but as of right now, so this doesnt get turned into "ooh you dont have it in your name im not helping you" thread, i only want to wire in a map sensor because something is very off with either my maf reading or my gauge.
When i went to the track i ran a 14.3 @ 117 (yea i was movin....and spinnin everywhere due to fwd :p) my boost gauge was spikin 30 31 psi (gauge goes to 60psi). Well either my turbo sucks or my airflow numbers are super off because according to link, (mind you i have a completely stock top end) i was only flowing 45-46lb/min and was running 24-25ish psi which makes a lot more sense.

Anyways, how do the bpr8es's fair as far as dd/stop and go driving go....i mean did you have to retune your low/mid throttle?
And whats the difference between bpr7es's and br7es's...funny i've had A LOT of talons and havent even heard of em haha

One other thing before i forget....could all my problems where it seems as if im running out of fuel be caused by the fact i have a stock fpr? I heard as fp rises at the base...the less output your pump has because of the already high fp?

You could be running out of fuel the 650's will be pushed to keep up with a 60-1 at 30 psi. Your profile says you have a aermotive fpr. If you do have the stock fpr you should upgrade it, but it shouldn't be causing knock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back