The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

7 major fins on compressor of 16g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox4

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
So the compressor housing on the turbo is from a small 16g, but the compressor wheel most definitely is not. It has 7 major fins as apposed to the normal 6. I have searched and found only one other thread that had a 16g with 7 major compressor fins. Here it is

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/302506-14b-compessor-wheel.html

The guy never got the turbo and no one had much insight on the thing. Has anyone seen this before or have any idea of what compressor wheel this may be? I don't think it is any of the popular Mitsubishi wheels as I'm pretty sure the 14b, 16g, 18g, and 20g do not have wheels like this. I did stumble across some pics of the Starion 12a's and 11a's that had 7 fins.

This turbo also has a ported tdo5 housing and 15* clipped tdo5 turbine. I am trying to decide if I want to run this turbo or my evoIII 16g.

Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 653
  • DSC00038.jpg
    DSC00038.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,199
thats a small 16g my big 16g has the same, if you look very close to the link picture you will see the double fins.

That is not correct. There are more fins on this compressor wheel (7 big fins) then a 16g compressor wheel (6 big fins)

Here is a pick of a true 16g compressor wheel. (it is from an evoIII) Count the big fins. There are 6. Now count the big fins in my OP and there are 7...

Attachments

• IMG_8449.jpg
    IMG_8449.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 608
Wouldn't it having 7 blades compared to the stock 6 blades only restrict airflow up top resulting in quicker spool?

Seems as if this turbo would perform as a "SUPER 14B" (Unless that compressor wheel is bigger than the stock 16G)

Correct me if I'm wrong....

Wouldn't it having 7 blades compared to the stock 6 blades only restrict airflow up top resulting in quicker spool?

Seems as if this turbo would perform as a "SUPER 14B"

Correct me if I'm wrong....

jusmx141 told me that more blades make for more efficiency at lower boost levels, but I am unsure of the effects of blade count on spool up time.

Well I got that theory based off of the holset turbos....I.E.
This is from the holset thread:
The 8blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on 1995-1998 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 52 lb/min according to the compressor map
The 7blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on the 1999-2002 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 60lb/min according to the compressor map
That's why I believe the more blades you have, the quicker spool up but less total output on top end.

See where I'm coming from?

Well I got that theory based off of the holset turbos....I.E.
This is from the holset thread:

That's why I believe the more blades you have, the quicker spool up but less total output on top end.

See where I'm coming from?

Awesome! Thanks for pulling that up. But this can really only be implied if the compressor wheels are the same size. The gt30r compressor runs 7 fins, flows more, and spools slower then a 16g with 6 fins, but it is because the gt30r wheel is much larger.

So I guess my next goal will be popping of the compressor housing to try and see if it was machined at all to get that compressor wheel in there. The outer diameter of the compressor inlet is the same as on the evoIII 16g (my intake pipe slides on both with the same coupler). So I don't think it would be much bigger if it is at all.

Awesome! Thanks for pulling that up. But this can really only be implied if the compressor wheels are the same size.
Thats exactly what I was thinking....If the compressor wheel in the 7 blade is really bigger than the stock 16g 6 blade. If it's bigger that it should obviously have some more output.

The outer diameter of the compressor inlet is the same as on the evoIII 16g
I'm assuming you are referring to the Compressor Exducer?

Thats exactly what I was thinking....If the compressor wheel in the 7 blade is really bigger than the stock 16g 6 blade. If it's bigger that it should obviously have some more output.

I'm assuming you are referring to the Compressor Exducer?

No I'm talking about the actual inlet on the compressor housing not the compressor wheel. It is the same outer diameter as the compressor housing inlet on my evoIII 16g. I have never compared normal compressor housings to housings that have been machined to fit larger wheels. So I guess I am asking what should I look for to tell if the housing has been machined??

No I'm talking about the actual inlet on the compressor housing not the compressor wheel. It is the same outer diameter as the compressor housing inlet on my evoIII 16g. I have never compared normal compressor housings to housings that have been machined to fit larger wheels. So I guess I am asking what should I look for to tell if the housing has been machined??

Ohhhhh, I see (Dummy me :p)

Well I'm assuming that all the machining is done on the inside, because the you look at some turbos that have different compressor wheels inside, One of the reasons they do that is to keep the "Stock turbo" look from the outside when nobody really knows what your packing inside.
An example would be the Bastard 20G

I say open her up!

I am going to open it up tomorrow when I can get to my grandpa's garage to pick up some big snap rings pliers to get the housing off. Then I am going to measure the exducer and inducer to compare to the small 16g wheel sizes

I was comparing the pictures of the "small" 16g and evoIII 16g that I have, and it looks like the intake of the compressor housing has been bored out on the small 16g. There appears to be a lot more metal between the inner and outer diameter of the intake on the evoIII housing.

Anyone else see this or I am just crazy? (the evoIII is the one that looks brand new)

The 60-1 compressor has major blades and staggered blades :) . . . I don't know how it could be stuffed into that 16g compressor housing though. Measure the turbine wheel while you're at it. It may be a td06/h/sl2.

The 60-1 compressor has major blades and staggered blades :) . . . I don't know how it could be stuffed into that 16g compressor housing though. Measure the turbine wheel while you're at it. It may be a td06/h/sl2.
Turbine is a TD05H clipped 15*; a 60-1 compressor would never fit behind a TD05H cover because the exducer is too tall, and the tips of the exducer are too "wide" and would require too much of the small TD05H cover to be cut away.

I've seen the old 7-blade GT30R compressor used in the past, but the O.P.'s looks to be smaller....almost like a larger version of a 12A compressor:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What is the blade count of the 25g or 24v?

I believe the 24v is actually a 7blade and the 25g a 6blade but I don't see any way either of those would fit in the tdo5h cover. It's possible to fit the inducer of the 24v I guess, but to machine another 10mm for the exducer?

I think Jusmx141 is heading in the right direction on this one because i'd say the one pictured didn't look to have a very big inducer size.

The 24V has a 56mm inducer and a 78mm exducer, which is on par with a Holset HX35 compressor. I don't think that a wheel that large would ever fit behind a TD05H cover, but I could be wrong.

91239d1232561524-mhi-24v-compressor-wheel-24v2.jpg

There has to be some Mitsubishi turbo that isn't very well-known which has a 7-blade compressor in the 16G-20G size frame.

I have a feeling its gonna be big....
Can you say sleeper 16G much? :p

Sorry to keep everyone waiting! But its going to be a while until I can get the measurements. I need to pick up a set of digital calipers. I tried to measure it with a tap measure/ruler and that didn't go to well. But I can say that the inducer is just under 2 inches in diameter. I am going to go pick up some calipers later today from harbor freight (I have a coupon to get them for $10).

It is a Frankenstein i believe. Old school turbo uses a 46trim Garrett wheel.

Are you sure? I thought that all of the old to4e garrett stuff was all 6 blade. I could be older than the to4e though. either way I would use the e316g if you have one. It is proven to work. If this was the coolest thing there would be more of them around. Different doesnt always mean better.

All T04E compressors have 6 major blades.

Most of the 16G's we're talking about here were made by Turbochargers.com back in the day. Shoot them an email when you get the inducer / exducer measurements and maybe they can help you out.

My bad everybody! It was a long weekend! My blow off valve blew and my harmonic balancer did the classic break into 2 pieces routine, so I have been focusing on that stuff the past few days! Now for the measurements! I'm not exactly sure how "to measure" a compressor wheel but this will give you all some ideas.

The very tip/top diameter of the inducer: 1.9 inches/48.45 mm
The bottom diameter of the inducer (where top of the smaller inducer blades start): 1.99 inches/50.66 mm
Exducer diameter (or diameter of the entire wheel itself): 2.75 inches/69.92 mm
Exducer height at edge of wheel: .235 inches/5.99 mm
Wheel height: ~1.021 inches/25.95 mm

The intake of the compressor housing measured 2.07 inches. My evoIII 16g is on the car and I don't have time to take off the intake to measure the intake on it's compressor housing right now.

Let me know what you think!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back