The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 16g compressor on 14b

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzi

Proven Member
Jan 11, 2014
Torrington, Connecticut
So I have a small mhi 16g layin around with bad bearings, chewed up turbine and cracked 6cm housing. The compressor wheel and housing are in good shape though, would I be able to swap the wheel and housing onto my good 14b unit? The issue would be where/how to get it balanced, there are only a couple pretty basic garages in my town.

Backing plate of what? The flat and convex is machined into the Chra. That's why I said you would need to machine it, and also to fit the slightly larger wheel.[DOUBLEPOST=1408686304][/DOUBLEPOST]If you contact justin (jusMx141) he can help you further! He's the turbo king here :) There's a ask justin thread if you sure for it, if you didn't know.

Cool, I havn't messed with these turbo's before, I just got my first dsm 8 months ago. I guess the better idea would be to rebuild the 16g and swap the turbine wheel? Or just sell it and get an evo 3...Thanks.

The 16G has a larger exducer than the 14b. You should be able to dissassemble the 14b machine the compressor wheel recess on the 14b center housing to fit the 16g wheel then reassemble it with the 16g compressor and housing. There are a few guys on this board with the ability to do this for you.

I probably wouldn't do it though, a small 16g is such a minor improbment over your good 14b. You have lots of other low hanging fruit.

Bastard nailed it. You're looking at a +3 lb/min airflow increase by switching that wheel. The gains are negligible in many cases as your system is likely bottlenecked in many other places. You'd be better off using it as a fancy paper weight and buying a new turbo..... something bigger than a 16g maybe. I will say that I have a s16g in my car and I love it. It comes on quick and it pulls hard with the FP2 cams I have in my car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back