The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2g n/t making a "turbo" spool sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chille_

Probationary Member
Nov 3, 2010
Copiague, New_York
Ive had my 96 Eclipse GS for about 3 years now.

Ever since I bought it, its made almost a "spooling" whistle sound whenever I punch the gas and keeps going untill I shift into the next gear, which then lets out a "poof" of air.

It was kind of cool at first, but it actually stopped me from actually turboing the car because I dont want to sound like even more of a moron with two spooling sounds LOL.

Being as its only under decent throttle I thought intake...I'm running the stock air box right now, but I have had a CAI in the past. My exhaust also broke off last year...cant exactly remember right now but I have a new flex pipe and a new cat...Im not sure if they touched the downpipe or headers I'll have to look at the recipt.

Is this a common occurance? Ive done some research but nothing really comes up as a definite answer.

Have you ever tried messing around with anything to make it go away?

Ya i had an RS for 2 years and never had this happen, but my friend had a GS and he bought a throttle body spacer and it kinda made a weird sound. I guess it could be mistaken for a turbo spool. btw they are a waste of money.

I'm gonna check to see if maybe the previous owner did anything to the throttle body spacer...its pretty loud it isnt a subtle whistle, its basically right there with my engine all the way through the rpm band

the whistle is most likely the air being sucked in making a noise on something.

my cai on my other 420a sounded like a turbo spool.

Im running the stock air box right now and it still does it...I've checked for a leak in the plastic piping but I dont see anything.

Its a 3 year old problem so it isnt that big of a deal, but Im seriously thinking about putting a Hahn in and I dont want two different whistles -_-

A video is needed, but it has to be a leak of some sort.
A throttle body spacer may make the described sound too.
(that was a good suggestion BTW)
I've heard that a aftermarket intake manifold makes a swirling whistle sound too.
(like an OBX)
Possibly a pulley whining, but these are all only speculation.

It could seriously be a pulley now that you say that.

My belt for the idler/ac/ps squeeks like a mother. It used to be only when it got wet, but lately it squeeks every day. Ive replaced a bearing for the idler pully and it helped a bit, but its coming back now worse than ever

My throttle body has a little bit of a whistle, but its nothing like my turbo :thumb:

My throttle body has a little bit of a whistle, but its nothing like my turbo :thumb:

Its a big whistle LOL

Im gonna take a video once I get a chance then upload it when I get home from work later today

Did you look in the exhaust to see if they installed one of those fake turbos? I imagine someone could even go so far as to install a bov on the piping to the throttle body with a weak spring so they could get the spool from the exhaust and the whoosh when they let off the gas quickly. It's all show, and probably inhibits performance.

d

Ive always wondered if they did - where exactly does that thing go? If it comes out of the exhaust tip it definitely isnt there.

the fake turbo whistle mounts in the back of your exhaust right inside the end of the muffler. Hopefully you don't have one, bad for performance, sounds like shit, and you wi; probably be laughed at for it.ROFL

Mine makes that whistling noise too. i have an rs and it came with a few modifications so I don't know if the previous owner had installed a larger throttle body or spacer. Is there anyway to check without pulling it apart?

It is a cool noise thought :p

you could have a jeep throttle body, its a common cheap mod for the 420a to boost power. If you can, post pics. If not, you can always measure the throttle body housing. I believe the stock tb tapers down to 52mm and the jeep tb can be found as 55mm, sometimes bore'd out to 60mm.

Or some people opt for a 60mm billet piece

you could have a jeep throttle body, its a common cheap mod for the 420a to boost power. If you can, post pics. If not, you can always measure the throttle body housing. I believe the stock tb tapers down to 52mm and the jeep tb can be found as 55mm, sometimes bore'd out to 60mm.

Or some people opt for a 60mm billet piece

Thats possible but my friend has a jeep throttle body on his gs with an intake as well and it changed the sound but it just made it a bit more aggressive.
The reason i mentioned a throttle body spacer is because most of them have lines grooved into them kinda like rifling on the barrel of a gun. It's supposed to create a vortex in the airflow in order to compress it slightly and make it more efficient but its bullshit and a gimmick.

A few of these replies are funny.

You might have a bad a/c compressor/alternator. I had a gs it did that stock and Cai, had it tested at parts store they said everything is good except for the alternator.

While your at it, take a spray bottle with soapy water, spray your vaccum lines for leaks.

The reason i mentioned a throttle body spacer is because most of them have lines grooved into them kinda like rifling on the barrel of a gun. It's supposed to create a vortex in the airflow in order to compress it slightly and make it more efficient but its bullshit and a gimmick.

On an EFI motor, yes. On a carbureted motor....not so much.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back