The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2 Heads/1 set of cams.HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainredeyez

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 22, 2008
Metairie, Louisiana
OK here is the story. The current head on my car is stock. I did a timing belt change and found that I had no compression, thus I have bent vales right. So I pulled the head and I was correct. I have super tiny indention's on my pistons. Not really a problem right? I bought a 2G head that has been shaved, vales ran, new valve seats, 3G lifters, but came with no cams. I should have no problem just pulling the cams from the original head and putting them on the new one right? I hope someone can help answer this.

You can go off the manual and check with a precision caliper to see if any of the lobes are not within spec. I would look on here for the online and downloadable Mitsu service manual. The Haynes or Chilton has mistakes throughout, and I do not rust them anymore.:thumb:

I have seen some destroyed valves before, i've never seen it bend the cam. It could happen, but usually the lifter or rocker breaks first. I would run my fingernail across the lobes and journals to check for scoring. If it's smooth it's ok.

The cams will drop right in, just be sure to mark which it intake, and exhaust, and remember the orientation of the cam caps! Just check the lobes for any pitting/scoring/scratches. According to my service manual for 1g's the caps need to be torqued to 14-15 ft lbs. Should be the same on 2g's..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back