The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

building 1 car out of 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Waffles_

Proven Member
Jan 15, 2013
Federal Way, Washington
I am wondering if anyone has done this and would suggest for or against it.

I found 2 93 panda talons for sale in my area. Both are not running. One is a FWD with a fresh rebuilt 6 bolt and a bad transmission. The other is an AWD with a 7 bolt that walked. Both are in good shape with decent interiors and both I can get for about $500 each.

The idea is simple, make an awd 93 panda with a 6 bolt from the two. Just wondering if anyone has tried this before and had luck/problems doing this.

Also looking for suggestions on what to look out for doing this and if this is even worth doing for $1k.

Thank you for your help,
Travis Walthall

I just recently did the same but 6bolt on 6bolt. It was about 8 hours ofork total but I got held up by bad motor mounts. I would say if you can make a drivable car of them its very worth it. I spend about 600 for the mounts, cutch, gear oil, antifreeze, a few other things.

Just make sure the AWD chassis is the one that is fixable, the floor pans aren't the same on FWD cars ( no driveshaft mount and flat spare tire well) so you'll need the awd chassis to end up with an AWD car. Have fun !

Just make sure the AWD chassis is the one that is fixable, the floor pans aren't the same on FWD cars ( no driveshaft mount and flat spare tire well) so you'll need the awd chassis to end up with an AWD car. Have fun !

Yup, they are both in good condition, but the AWD is better than the FWD.

The only thing now I have to find out is how to get them in my name. Washington state bases sales taxes on private car sales based off of a 'kbb' like system.

There will be no point to this if I have another $1000 in taxes to just ultimately have one car.

Yup, they are both in good condition, but the AWD is better than the FWD.

The only thing now I have to find out is how to get them in my name. Washington state bases sales taxes on private car sales based off of a 'kbb' like system.

There will be no point to this if I have another $1000 in taxes to just ultimately have one car.

It shouldn't be hat bad. Out here we do sales tax on the kbb value as well and my tax for my 96 gst with 100k miles came out to roughly $230 and that was with the title fees included

I agree that it would be worth it. Being that both are white you can use all the best body pieces from each one. You will need a 6 bolt awd clutch

I say go for it, in the end it will be worth it, even paying tax on KBB of both cars.

Looks like I might just do this. Turns out it will be roughly 100 dolars a title total. Not nearly as bad as I originally thought.

Go for it just expect to spend a few extra dollars here and there. Not sure how positive I would be on a "fresh rebuilt" motor that I can hear run though.

Go for it just expect to spend a few extra dollars here and there. Not sure how positive I would be on a "fresh rebuilt" motor that I can hear run though.

Fully expected. I am planning on going through both the engine and transmission. The nice thing though is that the 6-bolt runs, and therefore I can do compression and leak down tests before buying it/tearing it down. Always good to know what there is a bit before breaking everything down.

The best part is like someone stated is you have two cars to get parts from. The other person stated you can also scrap the old shell or sell it for some cash back. Just remember, keep as many of the parts that break more frequently so you don't have to source them out later.

There are a few errors above. You do not need the 6 bolt swap link as you're bolting these into 1g cars. All you would need is the motor mounts and such from whatever car you're keeping. You also don't need an AWD clutch (there is no such thing). You do need an AWD 6 bolt flywheel if you put that 6 bolt into the AWD car. There is nothing else special you need. Everything swaps as a unit for the most part. Very straightforward swap. Time consuming but few if any "gotchas" even for the non experienced.

There are a few errors above. You do not need the 6 bolt swap link as you're bolting these into 1g cars. All you would need is the motor mounts and such from whatever car you're keeping. You also don't need an AWD clutch (there is no such thing). You do need an AWD 6 bolt flywheel if you put that 6 bolt into the AWD car. There is nothing else special you need. Everything swaps as a unit for the most part. Very straightforward swap. Time consuming but few if any "gotchas" even for the non experienced.

Ok, thank you for that information. I knew about the flywheel, but I was very confused about an AWD clutch. Was about to make an article about it since I could not find anything about a drivetrain specific clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back