Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 76
Classifieds Rating: 1

I made a serious Uh-oh (Ruined axle nut threads)

Alright, so I tried to beat out the axle from the wheel bearing with a hammer, AFTER completely removing the axle nut. Yeah well now I ####ed up the end of the axle (threads) and the nut won't screw back on..... And the axle is still in the wheel bearing.

Can I re-thread the end of the axle? or am I screwed and need to replace it altogether?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 13.869 @ 95.090
Tech Posts: 4,697
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 25
You're screwed.

You're going to need a new axle and a new hub and wheel bearing.

Front or back axle.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 333
How ####ed are they? try running a tap over them?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 695
Photos: 26
Classifieds Rating: 5
or you can try tapering the end with a grinder (not a hand held one) i used to do that at a metal shop I worked at. I think re-threading is the way to go though...

here's a little pic of what I'm talking about; axle is vertical

/ \
|=|
|=|
|=|
View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-30-2010, 08:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,587
Photos: 20
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 136
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
If you mushroomed the end, it's going to be hard/impossible to retap.

Next time you know to leave the axle nut on sticking a bit past the end of the axle so if you ruin it, it's an easy and cheap replacement.

Throttle body rebuild kits

Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1992 300GT VR4
Tech Posts: 1,827
Photos: 7
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: rlacasse1 is pretty helpful and trustworthyrlacasse1 is pretty helpful and trustworthy
+1 on the grinding the end of the threads. I have done that as well and i used a hand held grinder. Just taper the end of the threads and carefully put the nut back on and it will be fine.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowborder714 View Post

Next time you know to leave the axle nut on sticking a bit past the end of the axle so if you ruin it, it's an easy and cheap replacement.
Mushroomed indeed.. front passenger side... haven't tried to retap or anything yet, just got a little frustrated at the exact moment I had a hammer in my hand. Worst part is the axle still didn't budge.

I guess I cant #### it up anymore than it already is so it wont hurt to grind the end down and see what I can do I guess? I'll take pics tomorrow, The threads are pretty ####ed because of the cotter pin holes, they kinda caved in causing the threads to wave.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 695
Photos: 26
Classifieds Rating: 5
jesus, I wonder why it was so hard to get out...

Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

welded with rust.. it took me 3 days of pb blaster soaking, and 2 broken breaker bars, just to get the nut off!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

Detective Coating, LLC 

Tech Posts: 509
Photos: 10
I've had this happen when my car was taken to a local shop and they used a solid hammer to hit the axle! I ended up grinding it down like said above and got the nut threaded back on for the time being. They bought me a new axle to install though but I needed the car that day.

Visit 19TSI95AWD's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-01-2010, 10:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 26
Photos: 5
Send a message via AIM to latintuch112
well since u really F'ed it up put some serous heat to it to get it out then replace the axle. Make sure u get it as red as u can without melting it and hammer the hell out of it. If it's messed up that bad go to town on it!!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 804
Photos: 3
Grind that bitch down. Throw it back on there.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindset View Post
Grind that bitch down. Throw it back on there.

+1, happened to me too. Just use a file or grinder and just cone off the end the just run the bolt back on and you should be fine.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Alright, well I ruined both my axle nuts, and re-####ed my axle threads. Here's how;

So after about a good hour of straightening out the threads by hand with a small hack saw, hammer, and chisel.. I finally got the nut to go back on right... well the axle is still rusted into the hub so i had to try to beat it out again, this time with the nut halfway threaded on. Well I beat the piss out of it with a hammer and stripped the inside of the nut. And re-####ed up the threads on the axle...... OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Is there any possible way to get this axle out or do I have to replace the whole car. New axle price around $50-$70 so I'm not too worked up, but this is really delaying my tranny swap.

Last edited by tweek814; 05-02-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

Detective Coating, LLC 

Tech Posts: 509
Photos: 10
Since it's already screwed get yourself an air chisel and hammer that thing out after heating it up. You could take off the knuckle and throw it in a press and get it out too.

Visit 19TSI95AWD's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-02-2010, 10:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2006 Nissan Sentra SE
Tech Posts: 1,967
Classifieds Rating: 26
Reputation: 97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Brand New GSP axles from advance are $70 each.. Just buy new ones, plus its a lifetime warranty.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 7
Cut the axle, remove the whole knuckle, get the axle pressed out, replace axle/wheel bearing.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latintuch112 View Post
well since u really F'ed it up put some serous heat to it to get it out then replace the axle. Make sure u get it as red as u can without melting it and hammer the hell out of it. If it's messed up that bad go to town on it!!
I dont have torches but I beat the living #### out of it with a hammer, didn't budge, and now there is definitely no saving the axle lol. I went to advanced an got the heaviest pulley puller they had and put it on the hub and tried to push the axle out. Broke one of my socket wrenches tightening it down. Then got out the tire iron because I broke my breaker bar the other day on the axle nut. So I tightened down the puller with my tire iron and a 4ft cheater pipe slipped over it, untill the ####ING PULLER SNAPPED INTO A MILLION PEICES!!!

Im just taking the whole hub/bearing/axle assembly out as one and replacing it unless I can get it separated after removal. But I'm gonna need a new axle for sure, and a few new sets of tools.

edit: I have a 96 avenger v6 parts car, so Im 99% sure the axle wont fit, but Im pretty sure the wheel bearing and hubs are interchangeable?

Old 05-02-2010, 04:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 577
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 17
Just order a new axle, hub, and knuckle from Mitsubishi Graveyard. That's what I did.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 434
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowborder714 View Post

I just did the same thing on my drivers side CV shaft its a good thing it already needed to be replaced and I had a dremel with cut off wheels to get it out.