I made a serious Uh-oh (Ruined axle nut threads)

Posted by tweek814, Apr 30, 2010
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. tweek814

tweek814 Proven Member

Clearfield, Pennsylvania
    Alright, so I tried to beat out the axle from the wheel bearing with a hammer, AFTER completely removing the axle nut. Yeah well now I ####ed up the end of the axle (threads) and the nut won't screw back on..... And the axle is still in the wheel bearing.

Can I re-thread the end of the axle? or am I screwed and need to replace it altogether?
  2. knochgoon24

knochgoon24 DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Rochester Hills, Michigan
    You're screwed.

You're going to need a new axle and a new hub and wheel bearing.

Front or back axle.
  3. frankenstein406

frankenstein406 Proven Member

hell, Wisconsin
    How ####ed are they? try running a tap over them?
  4. c2ypt1c

c2ypt1c Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Southern, California
    or you can try tapering the end with a grinder (not a hand held one) i used to do that at a metal shop I worked at. I think re-threading is the way to go though...

here's a little pic of what I'm talking about; axle is vertical

/ \
    |=|
    |=|
    |=|
  5. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania
    If you mushroomed the end, it's going to be hard/impossible to retap.

Next time you know to leave the axle nut on sticking a bit past the end of the axle so if you ruin it, it's an easy and cheap replacement.
  6. rlacasse1

rlacasse1 Proven Member

Scott AFB, Illinois
    +1 on the grinding the end of the threads. I have done that as well and i used a hand held grinder. Just taper the end of the threads and carefully put the nut back on and it will be fine.
  7. tweek814

tweek814 Proven Member

Clearfield, Pennsylvania
    Mushroomed indeed.. front passenger side... haven't tried to retap or anything yet, just got a little frustrated at the exact moment I had a hammer in my hand. Worst part is the axle still didn't budge.

I guess I cant #### it up anymore than it already is so it wont hurt to grind the end down and see what I can do I guess? I'll take pics tomorrow, The threads are pretty ####ed because of the cotter pin holes, they kinda caved in causing the threads to wave.
  8. c2ypt1c

c2ypt1c Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Southern, California
    jesus, I wonder why it was so hard to get out...:hmm:
  9. tweek814

tweek814 Proven Member

Clearfield, Pennsylvania
    welded with rust.. it took me 3 days of pb blaster soaking, and 2 broken breaker bars, just to get the nut off!
  10. Detective Coating

Detective Coating Supporting Vendor

DSM Profiles:
    23834, Virginia
    I've had this happen when my car was taken to a local shop and they used a solid hammer to hit the axle! I ended up grinding it down like said above and got the nut threaded back on for the time being. They bought me a new axle to install though but I needed the car that day.
  11. latintuch112

latintuch112 Probationary Member

DSM Profiles:
    Modena, New_York
    well since u really F'ed it up put some serous heat to it to get it out then replace the axle. Make sure u get it as red as u can without melting it and hammer the hell out of it. If it's messed up that bad go to town on it!!
  12. mindset

mindset Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Brunswick, Ohio
    Grind that bi*** down. Throw it back on there.
  13. 93BLK_TALON

93BLK_TALON Probationary Member

San Francisco, California

+1, happened to me too. Just use a file or grinder and just cone off the end the just run the bolt back on and you should be fine.
  14. tweek814

tweek814 Proven Member

Clearfield, Pennsylvania
    Alright, well I ruined both my axle nuts, and re-####ed my axle threads. Here's how;

So after about a good hour of straightening out the threads by hand with a small hack saw, hammer, and chisel.. I finally got the nut to go back on right... well the axle is still rusted into the hub so i had to try to beat it out again, this time with the nut halfway threaded on. Well I beat the piss out of it with a hammer and stripped the inside of the nut. And re-####ed up the threads on the axle...... OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Is there any possible way to get this axle out or do I have to replace the whole car. New axle price around $50-$70 so I'm not too worked up, but this is really delaying my tranny swap.
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  15. Detective Coating

DSM Profiles:
    23834, Virginia
    Since it's already screwed get yourself an air chisel and hammer that thing out after heating it up. You could take off the knuckle and throw it in a press and get it out too.
  16. 97gst_spyder

97gst_spyder Proven Member

Lakeland, Florida
    Brand New GSP axles from advance are $70 each.. Just buy new ones, plus its a lifetime warranty.
  17. KingSobieski

KingSobieski Probationary Member

Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky
    Cut the axle, remove the whole knuckle, get the axle pressed out, replace axle/wheel bearing.
  18. tweek814

tweek814 Proven Member

Clearfield, Pennsylvania
    I dont have torches but I beat the living #### out of it with a hammer, didn't budge, and now there is definitely no saving the axle LOL. I went to advanced an got the heaviest pulley puller they had and put it on the hub and tried to push the axle out. Broke one of my socket wrenches tightening it down. Then got out the tire iron because I broke my breaker bar the other day on the axle nut. So I tightened down the puller with my tire iron and a 4ft cheater pipe slipped over it, untill the ####ING PULLER SNAPPED INTO A MILLION PEICES!!!

Im just taking the whole hub/bearing/axle assembly out as one and replacing it unless I can get it separated after removal. But I'm gonna need a new axle for sure, and a few new sets of tools.

edit: I have a 96 avenger v6 parts car, so Im 99% sure the axle wont fit, but Im pretty sure the wheel bearing and hubs are interchangeable?
  19. joyfil2001

joyfil2001 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Toms River, New_Jersey
    Just order a new axle, hub, and knuckle from Mitsubishi Graveyard. That's what I did.
  20. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Germansville, Pennsylvania
    I just did the same thing on my drivers side CV shaft its a good thing it already needed to be replaced and I had a dremel with cut off wheels to get it out.
  21. tweek814

tweek814 Proven Member

Clearfield, Pennsylvania
    ^Yeah this is funny because now I have to replace my passenger side hub and bearing... when my drivers side has needed to be replaced since I bought the car.

DSMGraveyard wants $149 for a USED axle. I didn't even look at wheel bearings. Found used knuckle full assembly's w/hub on eBay for $40-$50.
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  22. 1stGenTSi

1stGenTSi Proven Member

Austin, Texas
    Well he did say Mitsubishi Graveyard.
  23. EclipticalGS

EclipticalGS Proven Member

walker, Michigan
    dsm graveyard and mitsu graveyard are completely different.

They will be cheaper at mistu graveyard
  24. tweek814

tweek814 Proven Member

Clearfield, Pennsylvania
    Do you have to call mitsu graveyard? I've never dealt with these guys and I couldn't find the part online.
  25. Detective Coating

DSM Profiles:
    23834, Virginia
    I believe I have everything you need but I won't be home until next Monday to check for sure. I'm only a little over an hour from you and you can have them for pretty cheap. I do not have an axle for you though. Let me know.