The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Running w/o fuel injector resistor box??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YZFR1

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 8, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Hello,

i have two black 91 tsi's that i'm switching stuff around on. And i just realized that the car that i'm moving my engine and the rest of the drive terrain from doen't have an injector resistor box. It has been eliminated by the previous owner. The car ran just fine without it until i encountered an electrical gremilin, kind of a problem.

I was running 550cc injectors (from an EVO, i believe) on it and the new car that i'm swapping to has an injector resistor box.

My question is, if it would be ok to run those 550cc injectors with a resistor box? I think it should be ok but i just want to be sure

I really have no idea why the previous owner removed it and why the car ran just fine without it because i'm under the impression that it is someting that is manditory.:idontknow:

Your gonna need one, i got one here if your interested.

I appreciate it man but i have one in the new car that i'm doing the swap to.

I just wanted to make sure it was ok to run with it and wanted to get some feedback on why my other car ran just fine without it??

Check the injector impedance (resistance).

The turbo injectors are low impedance (between 2-3 ohms resistance) and require the resistor to avoid burning out the injector and driver on the ECU. High impedance injectors measure typically 12-16 ohms and limit the current themselves.

Thanks for that explanation, Steve! I'm not an electronics buff but that would make sence, i will look into that.

I still have a question:

is it ok to run a resistor box with high impendance injectors?

What injectors do you want to use? High or low for your car? Are you using your low or high impedence injectors?

Just checked the 550cc injectors that i want to use and they all came up between 12-16 ohms.

Does that mean i need to remove or just disconnect the injector resistor box? Or is it ok to leave it there?

Really don't feel like blowing anything out so i just want to be sure on what would be the most appropriate procedure.

BTW, i'm running an AEM ems, i believe it is compatible with both type of injectors.

Thank you

You most likely want to run without it with those injectors.

The simplest thing to do is find a matching connector the same as the resistor pack and then connect all the same pins together. If you install that on the car harness you can leave the resistor pack bolted on the car for later and the new connector will bypass and feed the injectors power directly. This way there are no other wiring changes and it's fully reversible.

the ECU dictates wether you need the box or not, aftermarket EMS (except AEM) can usually run high or low Ohm injectors and you just set the prgram accordingly, if it's a stock ECU running without the resistor box, they are probably high impedence injectors and you won't want to run them with an added resistor box as they would barely be opening on what juice they can use

Ohm them out and report back with the resistance and what ECU is in the car without the box, then i can tell you more

edit: just read some last 2 posts

ok.. AEM can only fiure high impedance injectors unless you use a resistor pack (= ghey, the only stand alone that you can't just enable a driver to deal with this)

just make sure to run the resistor box with any injector with an impedance lower than 5-6ohms or you'll let too much juice back to the ECU and fry the inj drivers

The simplest thing to do is find a matching connector the same as the resistor pack and then connect all the same pins together. If you install that on the car harness you can leave the resistor pack bolted on the car for later and the new connector will bypass and feed the injectors power directly. This way there are no other wiring changes and it's fully reversible.

Just checked on my old car and that is exactly what one of the previous owners did. There is a plug from a resistor box that has all 5 wires joint together. I just didn't know what to look for until now! Thanks for that

just make sure to run the resistor box with any injector with an impedance lower than 5-6ohms or you'll let too much juice back to the ECU and fry the inj drivers[/B]

Yeah, that would be something to keep in mind for future reference :D

BTW, i'm running an AEM ems, i believe it is compatible with both type of injectors.

Thank you

ok.. AEM can only fiure high impedance injectors unless you use a resistor pack (= ghey, the only stand alone that you can't just enable a driver to deal with this)

just make sure to run the resistor box with any injector with an impedance lower than 5-6ohms or you'll let too much juice back to the ECU and fry the inj drivers[/B]

Which AEM EMS do you have? The Series I EMS (30-1300 for 1G) was made almost 10 years ago, and yes it only supports high impedance injectors (or low with a resistor pack in place), but the Series II EMS (30-6300 for 1G) has built-in peak&hold drivers 4A/1A meaning it can drive low-impedance injectors right off the EMS, which makes a HUGE difference in driveability on large low-imp injectors. Please do your research before making claims. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back