The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset HX52 DSM= 816hp/569tq@38psi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglady112

15+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2004
Commerce City, Colorado
After a rather disappointing trip to Ohio in April for the Ohio Mile we started getting ready for Speed Week early. I knew we were close with things, we just did not get enough runs to get the last of the kinks worked out. We got three runs total and only one run were we could get into 5th gear.

We came home on a mission to get ready and get this car to where we knew it could be. It has been a rough five years, but we have had a feeling all along this year would be the year we claimed at least one if not both of the Production Supercharged records that we are chasing. The F motor class which is 2.01-3.00L and G motor class which is 1.51-2.00L.

We did the math in the land speed calculators and to claim the records the calculators said we needed 720-730hp to reach our goals. So we went in with a goal of 700hp or so and would adjust from there once we got to Utah, IE-turn the boost up during a run if the GPS display did not say a certain MPH by the 3 and 4 mile markers.

Well, right off the bat we exceeded our goals with the first pull being 775hp. Boost was 38psi so we decided to go from there and just work on getting the car a bit smoother. Well upwards of 15 runs later we were able to smooth it out nicely. After a plug change to BR9ES' we were able to get our EGT's to acceptable levels and start leaning on it. We had three runs after the swap but could not seem to tune around it breaking up. We took the plugs out and gapped them down to .018". The very next pull is what you see below. 816hp. And it pulled smooth as could be to 9000rpm.

We came into today with a goal of running the car over 200mph after the flogging to see if the motor would hold together and to see if our new re-engineered water and oil paths through the motor were going to work and be successful. That and see if this head gasket would stay intact with all the oil and coolant ports blocked off on the deck of the motor and cylinder head. We made it to 210mph before we figured that was enough and after 15 runs it was clear the new engine program was a success.

As I said, it took 5 years, but I think we are finally ready. We are gladly accepting sponsorships for cams and intake manifolds to prove their gains and see if this Holset is worth 900hp. With the way things work out at the Salt, we feel we have 30-50hp left in our configuration if this car was a drag car. We do have to dial the timing back a bit and run a ton of fuel through the motor in order to keep head gaskets in the motor for 5 miles at a time.

Here we come Bonneville.

1991 Eagle Talon
Off the shelf Ross 8.5:1 pistons
Off the shelf Manley H beam rods
Used Holset HX52
Stock intake manifold
Crower 413 cams

816hp 1991 Eagle Talon TSi 6/14/2012 - Car Videos on StreetFire

Attachments

• DOC005.PDF
    83.4 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
I didnt see what fuel type you were using. Congratulations those are some good numbers. Hope to see similar numbers on my setup.

Wow very nice #s
Im actualy picking up my hx52 today! I cant imagine what my car will do with the extra mods i have over yours. I'd be too scared to push my manley h beam plus625 arps to over 850.

Amazing work! What kind of manifold did you use for this? Fuel/Tuning?

1991 Eagle Talon
Off the shelf Wiseco 8.5:1 pistons
Off the shelf Manley H beam rods
Used Holset HX52
Stock intake manifold
Crower 413 cams

Dsmlink
Rocket Fuel 110 leaded
Revhard exhaust manifold

what valve springs are you using? witch crower cams are thos

Stock valve springs. It says Crower 413's. So old school 64413's.

nice can't wait to get my hx52 going.

We chose it for two reasons.

First-reliability, huge concern at Bonneville
Second- cost, but being cast is the main reason. They also have huge runners, so plenty of volume can move through there.

Very nice numbers. I got extra excited when I thought it was AWD but noticed it was a FWD car. So right now its putting down HX40 numbers considering the drive train loss difference between AWD and FWD. I would hope that turbo has a LOT more in it in the tune of another 100-200whp and whtq at the very least...

What boost was this pass done at?

Great number still and can't wait to see the old doge truck finished too.

Yea, I don't know what your smoking, but this is no where near any HX40 I have ever tuned. The car is FWD because we have a tremendous amount of gearing options and potential. The Raver Motorsports Galant is pretty close to maxed out at 224mph. Not too much mph left for those guys.

We went 214mph at 6000rpm.

The truck will be done soon enough. Same turbo.

I can't seem to access the video. Can you post a pic of the dyno sheet? Is love to see the response. Awesome numbers for a farely budget based build! I'd love to see what this thing would do with a drag tune in it. I think the Magnus cast im would be perfect for you!

Yea, I don't know what your smoking, but this is no where near any HX40 I have ever tuned. The car is FWD because we have a tremendous amount of gearing options and potential. The Raver Motorsports Galant is pretty close to maxed out at 224mph. Not too much mph left for those guys.

We went 214mph at 6000rpm.

The truck will be done soon enough. Same turbo.

I never said it was anything like any HX40 you tuned because if you had the ability to make an HX40 put down those kind of numbers then your HX52 numbers would be higher. I am just referencing the 700whp HX40s we have running around on AWD platforms. If you do the math of an 816whp FWD it would be calculated as right around 709whp on the HIGH side and 685whp on average. But then again you can calculate the 12-18% drive train loss how ever you'd like and then put a search in for what HX40s are putting down being tuned by some of this known people/shops and you'll see they are at hat number and higher.

I never dissed your numbers or your choice for a FWD. I already planned that my next drag vehicle would be an auto FWD car because they are by far the lightest of the DSMs (a nice FWD Laser would be out of this world) I think its a great choice personally.:thumb:

Those MPH numbers are insane and congrats on achieving them. Takes a LOT out of even newer high performance exotics to even attmept those numbers and many cant touch them so props on that as well.

I scanned the sheet in at work and emailed it to myself. I cannot seem to upload it to photobucket. It is not a fast spooling turbo at all. I am sure the turbo could do 900 with some more money in the motor, intake and cams, but it is what it is. There is of course more boost and a more aggressive tune. This thing has to survive for 5 miles though. TWICE, in order to solidify a class record.

I feel the HX40's and GT35's making 700+ are coming off of generous dyno's. Maybe the new fancy 3582's with the new wheels can get up there, but I just know from the 40's I have been around up here, it is in a whole other league.

Maybe some day someone will put this thing on a drag car and ring it out like we have.

And maybe some day soon, we can put our little DSM to 230 or 240mph.

The stock intake manifold has got to become a restriction at some point, so I see why you think it only has a little more in it. I would imagine with a smim and a little more motor work, that thing should have over 100-150 more HP in it through a fwd. I really want to do some standing mile stuff once I have a little more money to spare. I have an sn95 now, but a fwd 1g sounds like a fun project. But ill put a lq9, iron block 6.0l in my mustang if I do something like that. That, and some big twins... Someday LOL.

Last edited:
Was this with a divided hotside and undivided manifold?

240mph is extremely impressive. I dunno how I'd feel about going that fast in anything built by mitsu hahah.

It is not a fast spooling turbo at all.

You had mentioned in another thread that you guys were seeing 20 psi by 5K and at elevation. That seemed great to me considering its size and the fact that it uses journal bearings. Is it not spooling this fast?

Nice numbers BTW. What peak airflow are you logging? I'd like to see a dyno sheet tooo. The video isn't loading for me either.

Its weird that the RPM shows so much higher than you said you were revving to.. Without a doubt impressive but won't that throw dyno numbers off if the RPM is not correct? I am glad someone is taking the Hx52 to the max. Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back