The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

655 awhp 490 torque on pump gas with HX52/19cm HX40 housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostdriven

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2010
Pasco, Washington
Well just got back from the dyno. Monty the auto instructor at CBC had the mustang dyno rep fly in to help set everything up so that was kind of nice, very smart guys. The beauty of the whole thing was that I got to drive my own car on the dyno. Did all the pulls in 3rd gear. First pull at 33 psi car made a little over 600 HP, on the second pull I turned up the boost a bit to 35 psi got like 625 HP. Cranked up the boost some more and on a 3rd pull boost went up to 38 psi but it dropped down to 37 psi after about 7000 rpms. I think my 25 psi spring on a 50mm wastegate just couldn't hold the back pressure so at 37 psi car made 663 HP not corrected and 655 corrected. 496 torque not corrected and 490 corrected. Drive pressure at 37 psi of boost was right 30 psi at 8000 rpms. Peak timing was at 19 degrees, air/fuel ratios were about 11.5

Keep in mind this was done on 92 octane pump gas with a lot of water/meth :) We did the engine speed of the rollers so the rpm on the dyno log was a little bit off from an actual rpms. My laptop log shows that I reved to 8500 and the dyno shows peak at 8100 rpms. Peak power was at 7700 rpms when in reality should have been about 8100 rpms, that's what the dyno rep said. Peak torque was at 6500 but if the rpms were dialed in 100% it should have been about 6900 rpms. Can't say that I'm disappointed, for a $350 dollar HX52 with that 19cm HX40 housing I think it did ok :) We have a gas station here that sells 110 octane unleaded aviation fuel so maybe one of these Fridays I'll get some of that gas and get on the rollers again. Should be able to run about 24-25 degrees of timing, there is more power to be made but I'm happy with what I got on pump gas.

Monty said that we can come back anytime, pretty much can dyno my car every Friday :) $50 dollars is not bad at all. I asked Monty if we can get some people together and bring more cars to have a little DSM get together and he was cool with that so we will have to set something up for some of the local guys here in the NW. I'll post something on here if we set up a day to do this.

I'll post up some pictures of the dyno sheet when I get to a computer.

Man I was hoping at least by 5k. It would of been nice to see the 52 pushed above 40psi see what it does on that housing. Awesome work anyway.

I've noticed that my car spools a little bit slower on every dyno then on the actual road. I would get 37 psi by about 5600-5700 rpms in 3rd gear and by about 5000-5100 rpms in 4th gear.

I would imagine the car would probably make another 100 HP with some race gas on the same boost with more timing but I've never ran race gas in my car before so that's just my guess. Yeah 8.5 compression and a total of 1260cc of water/meth let's you get away with so much timing :)

Nice numbers man. You should've added meth to the title as well, it's misleading.

Thank you and yes I should have, I didn't think about that, is there a way I can do that now? Maybe one of the mods can put that in for me so the title says pump gas/water/meth. My bad

Last edited:
...more timing than 25*? :D

The way my car runs with pump gas and water/meth with 0 knock, I think with some 110 octane I should be able to get away with about 25 degrees of timing.

Here are few pictures of the dyno sheet

Attachments

• IMAG0261.jpg
    IMAG0261.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMAG0260.jpg
    IMAG0260.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 173
I'm confused....... I thought this turbo was going on dsmcurses car? Or are you BOTH running hx52's in hx40 housings??

Nice power for a cheap turbo setup. I would guess that full boost is around 6500rpm for this turbo. I usually see peak torque when full boost is reached. This is awsome since record setting turbos like the pte6264 or pte6765 reach boost about the same for a lot more money.

25 degrees of timing is a lot of timing for me. You are brave. I am a wimp because I stay around 5 degree of timing for anything over 30psi on e85. I got 11:1 compression and aem so I got to be conservative. I seen people ran 15 degree at peak power on 8.5:1 compression and e85 with no knock.

I tuned a MR2 with meth/h2o on 92 pump gas a couple of year back. At 25 psi with a gt3071r, his previous tuner had 21 degrees at peak power. I don't remember how many cc of meth/h2o he ran. He has Aem and no knock sensor so we can not determine knock. I dropped the timing down to 12 degrees and it picked about 20hp. I increase to timing to 15 degrees and it gained another 15hp. Over all it gain 35hp by dropping the timing from 21* to 15*. I set it at 15* because going to 16* did nothing more. If you get a chance to put 110 into your and gain more power, it will be great to see.

Both him and I have modified housings. I built my few months ago, I have a thread on here about it, its an HX40 19cm. I built his just few days ago, his is a BEP T3 .70 a/r

Both him and I have modified housings. I built my few months ago, I have a thread on here about it, its an HX40 19cm. I built his just few days ago, his is a BEP T3 .70 a/r

Gotcha. And just to clarify, both yours and his are HX52's in those modified housings? I understand using the bullseye .70 t3 using obviously makes sense, financially, for someone that's already runnin running a hx40 in one but for someone just starting off with the hx52 and purchasing a housing, would you think a .82 would be a better choice for that turbine in a t3 housing? Or even better yet....a vband .82 housing? I would just think that, while the .70 housing would yield better spool/response.....on the flipside, it would be at a large cost to peak power capability, compared to the .82... I just don't see even a ported .70a/r being capable of allowing the hx52's full potential. Honestly, I think even in a vband .82 housing, you'd really have wring it out to get the full potential out of it.

what about bep .55 for the hx40? seems kinda small for what the turbo is, but it works damn good. the 52 living inside of the bep .70 housing ported to the max is about the equvelent

That .70 a/r housing on the HX52 works even better then .55 on the HX40. At 36 psi of boost that .70 a/r housing had like 31 psi of drive pressure where .55 on the HX40 would have higher driver pressure then boost.

Man, I think my next mod after dialing in my pump gas tune is meth injection!

What are you using for "meth" in your tank? I read about mixing Walmart window washer fluid with heat?

Man, I think my next mod after dialing in my pump gas tune is meth injection!

What are you using for "meth" in your tank? I read about mixing Walmart window washer fluid with heat?

Yes that's what I use, 4 bottles of HEET and one gallon of -20* windshield washer fluid, that puts you close to 50/50 mix. You can also buy stuff called boost juice from snow performance, they say its 50/50, I've tried it seems to work just as well. The nice thing about Walmart remedy is that you can buy it at any Walmart or parts store :)

How much more power can pump gas make on a 2.0L engine? I'm wondering if there was something I could have done to make more power, maybe a richer mixture then 50/50 of water/meth? Anybody out there making more power out of a 2.0L on pump gas?

Last edited:
im think i may start i new thread on your behalf, called "highest WHP on pump-gas" see what kinda results we get...

Ive never seen another 4-banger produce that kinda power on pump, inline-6 or V-6, sure, but a 4banger? maybe theres someone out there that can chime in with theyre big power pump machine???

im think i may start i new thread on your behalf, called "highest WHP on pump-gas" see what kinda results we get...

Ive never seen another 4-banger produce that kinda power on pump, inline-6 or V-6, sure, but a 4banger? maybe theres someone out there that can chime in with theyre big power pump machine???

Because he has a meth injection kit, so it's not straight pump gas.

Yeah its getting really old running meth injection or straight alcohol or whatever the hell else with pump gas then going around talking like it's just pump gas.

Yeah its getting really old running meth injection or straight alcohol or whatever the hell else with pump gas then going around talking like it's just pump gas.

Do you make mention of the fact that you sent alex a private message asking how to tune for water/meth? Or how about earlier in the thread you say "man I think my next mod will be meth injection"? So where do you stand? You contridict yourself very much so.

You guys need to relize, an AEM water/meth kit is JUST ANOTHER CAR PART! ITS ANOTHER BOLT ON, and that's it. Period. Its no differant than buying a K&N air filter or a TIAL wastegate or your lil FP log mannifold. Duh. Its just another freakin car part. It can be purchased anywhere including a dang Summit catalog. Its at your disposal to go buy too so don't hate.

This is done on PUMP GAS! Go to any 'ol gas station, get any gas anywhere any time of day or night. 25mpgs on pump, WELL OVER 600 ponies, on diet gas from the local 7 11. Why hate? Yep water/meth is used, SO WHAT. The boostjuice is wal-mart mix. I think you even asked one of us how to mix it.

There is no racegas, av gas, special E85 only one gas pump of it in the entire city BS. Its chevron, 7 11, stinker station, regular old fashion gas station like a normal car. 4WD and over 650 ponies, filled up AT THE GAS STATION ON DIET FUEL.

Great numbers BoostDriven. As far as getting the car to 25* advance, I recommend tuning it on the dyno and doing a few degrees at a time until you see minimal gains or even lose power advancing the timing. I tuned my car on the dyno and at 17* advance we were at 437/387, kicked peak timing up to 20* and the car did 440/390. Why run the motor harder for no gain?

Looking forward to the race gas pulls.
Do you make mention of the fact that you sent alex a private message asking how to tune for water/meth? Or how about earlier in the thread you say "man I think my next mod will be meth injection"? So where do you stand? You contridict yourself very much so.

You guys need to relize, an AEM water/meth kit is JUST ANOTHER CAR PART! ITS ANOTHER BOLT ON, and that's it. Period. Its no differant than buying a K&N air filter or a TIAL wastegate or your lil FP log mannifold. Duh. Its just another freakin car part. It can be purchased anywhere including a dang Summit catalog. Its at your disposal to go buy too so don't hate.

This is done on PUMP GAS! Go to any 'ol gas station, get any gas anywhere any time of day or night. 25mpgs on pump, WELL OVER 600 ponies, on diet gas from the local 7 11. Why hate? Yep water/meth is used, SO WHAT. The boostjuice is wal-mart mix. I think you even asked one of us how to mix it.

There is no racegas, av gas, special E85 only one gas pump of it in the entire city BS. Its chevron, 7 11, stinker station, regular old fashion gas station like a normal car. 4WD and over 650 ponies, filled up AT THE GAS STATION ON DIET FUEL.
If it's on pump gas making 600+whp then empty the meth/water tank and run it on the dyno on straight pump gas. Oh wait.

You can also get 110oct out of the PUMP as well as E85, does that make it PUMP gas too? A meth pump/tank can be bolted on just like a bottle of nitrous, claiming that they're both just another bolt-on like a K&N air filter or a Tial wastegate is ignorant.

:dsm:

LOL, nice try on the call out. I most definitely did ask him about meth injection. I am indeed interested in it.

No way would I go around and try to make it sound like I am the pump gas king after tuning for meth injection.

When people are asking about pump gas tuning, pump gas numbers, or pump gas times, the general consensus is that they are speaking of 91 or 92 or whatever the premium gas is at your usual gas station.

I don't care if you know of a gas station somewhere in your state that sells 11308984 octane at the pump, its not pump gas. You know what were talking about when we say pump gas.

I might as well mix some e85 in the tank while spraying a 200 shot of nitrous then talk about how I did it with pump gas. Hey there was some in the tank right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back