The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

how to make turbo spool faster

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawn87

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2007
sacramento, California
i have a ported 14b with ss o2 housing and 3inch exhaust but im still not feeling pull till 3500 rpms... my question is how can i make it so it will spool or get it to pull faster?:hmm:

port the hotside some more?
tubular header?
or a MAFT set up?

I agree with the guys above. Try spraying some wd40 around the wastegate flapper arm area, let it sit for 5 minutes, and take it for a spin and see if that helps unstick the arm.
Those turbos as stated should be spooled around the 2800-3200 rpm range.
If yours isn't spooling until after then you have some good pre-turbo exhuast leaks. Make sure all your bolts are nice and tight and that your gaskets aren't bad either.

But it's more likely that you have boost leaks, do a boost leak test first, it should be regular maintenance on a turbo car.

+1. These intercooler hoses are old and worn down and tend to start tearing and cracking over the years of use. Do a boost leak test asap.

But it's more likely that you have boost leaks, do a boost leak test first, it should be regular maintenance on a turbo car.

An exhaust/wastegate leak makes a lot bigger difference than any boost leak.

Make sure you have no exhaust leaks, if you don't you may have a cracked turbine housing by the wastegate flapper. It could also be a boost controller issue, or your cam timing could be off.

An exhaust/wastegate leak makes a lot bigger difference than any boost leak.

Make sure you have no exhaust leaks, if you don't you may have a cracked turbine housing by the wastegate flapper. It could also be a boost controller issue, or your cam timing could be off.

well i know its not the timing cause i just got everything done at a my friends shop... and when i ported the housing the cracks were minor but i might of ported the w/g outlet a little to much that could be the problem...:hmm:

and i also know its not the exhaust cause i just had it checked and put new seals everywhere

but i think if i shimm the w/g and spray it with wd40 it might be a good place to start

i will boost leach tested tomorrow at work and let you know how it went

thanx guys:thumb:

Ive got 5 bucks that says its a boost leak.

I'll pm you my Paypal account info:D
But yeah as said do a boost leak test, double check there is no pre-turbo exhaust leaks
Have you done any porting to the turbine housing or manifold?

i only ported the hotside of the turbo

I would port the manifold collector, like remove the step for sealing ring as well if its not done on turbine housing.
Check out vfaq.com for some how-tos.

Originally you said that you're " not feeling pull till 3500rpms" Could you be more specific in terms of psi/rpm?

I would port the manifold collector, like remove the step for sealing ring as well if its not done on turbine housing.
Check out vfaq.com for some how-tos.

Originally you said that you're " not feeling pull till 3500rpms" Could you be more specific in terms of psi/rpm?

what i mean by this is that i don't feel the turbo kick int till about 3500 rpm... i have it set at 15psi...

i ran a boost leak and Nada everything is OK...so i shimmed the w/g and wd40 the actuator arm but have not ran it yet cause my radiator cap broke and need to get a new one... i will post on this later on today to see if i might have fixed the problem

for what ive read i expect to feel the car pull at about 3k.

Something is up, you should feel pull before 3k with the 14b. What psi did you test to when you did the boost leak test?

Something is up, you should feel pull before 3k with the 14b. What psi did you test to when you did the boost leak test?

Feeling pull and "peak torque" are two different things. Yes the 14b should spools very fast and should definitely hit full boost in 3-3500rpm area. Peak torque will occur later in the rpm band though.

To the OP: What gear are we talking about? If you are at WOT at a low rpm, Where are you hitting your 15psi?

Feeling pull and "peak torque" are two different things. Yes the 14b should spools very fast and should definitely hit full boost in 3-3500rpm area. Peak torque will occur later in the rpm band though.

To the OP: What gear are we talking about? If you are at WOT at a low rpm, Where are you hitting your 15psi?

i tested the system to 18psi

im running 15psi and i hit that at about 3200-3500 rpm

after that i feel peak torque at about 4k

so if what you say is true then im doing ok then:p

i tested the system to 18psi

im running 15psi and i hit that at about 3200-3500 rpm

after that i feel peak torque at about 4k

so if what you say is true then im doing ok then:p

Sounds about right.
You may be able to cut that down a bit with porting the inlet of turbo and collector of manifold. It may be hardly noticabe though.
If you had a fuel/timing management system, you could tweak some more out of it, too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back