The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Which wire to power to fuel level sending unit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
My fuel gauge isn't working and I've changed out both my fuel pressure sending unit and gauge clusters with spares I have. Neither fixed the issue. Tested the sending unit and both of the ones I own have the proper resistance when moving the float. I think I'm just not getting power to the sending unit. This is a fwd converted to awd, so if anyone knows the power source for both, I'll gladly take that information. Sure appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have the AWD fuel tank and wiring?

2g AWD factory wiring:
On the stock setup for AWD there are 2 senders in the tank that are connected in series - one on drivers side, one on passenger side. The fuel gauge goes to the drivers side first in a solid yellow wire. This is the one if grounded should make the gauge read full (when key on - takes a minute). The drivers side then goes to the passenger side in a yellow/black wire. If grounded, the gauge will read something (between halfway and full) depending on the drivers side sender position. The passenger side then has a black wire to ground (grounded on the front floor upper cross member under drivers seat). If either this black wire is not grounded or the yellow/black between the 2 senders in not connected, the gauge will not work.

In addition to all this there are also 2 wires to run the fuel level low light. They are (on AWD) a yellow/blue from gauge to drivers side sender, and a yellow/black (different than above one so don't get confused) between the driver's and passenger's senders.

Yes I do. Shouldn't I be getting some sort of power to the wiring though when the key is on? I'm not sure which wires should have power.

Either you edited your post or I just didn't read it very good. Lol. Checking for the ground wire right now. Thanks!

P.S. Just have to figure out if it's the solid black wire, or the black wire with white stripe.

So I grounded both the driver's side and passenger side and they worked as it should. Full tank with the driver's side. 3/4 tank on the passenger side. I cut the ground wire and grounded it to the frame to make SURE it was grounded but gauge still doesn't work. I've been told that the black wire with white stripe should have power there but no power at all.

So I'm still stumped at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya usually the black wire on the passenger side fuel level sender doesn't make a good ground connection where it bolts to the frame under the driver's seat (or it breaks off there). You say the gauge worked when you grounded the passenger side (I assume you grounded the black wire on the sender itself). So the problem has to be between there and where the harness is grounded. But it should have worked if you grounded the correct black wire [there's at least 2 black wires - one for this (connector E-59 pin 6), one for fuel pump (pin 1) - both grounds]. Of course if it still has FWD wiring it's different and all bets are off.

There's the black-yellow fuel level signal wire I mentioned in post 2 which may have faded to a black-white that ends up going to the dash fuel gauge. Also another black-yellow that may be faded for the low fuel level light.

Actually what I did was connect a wire with alligator clips to the yellow wire and connected the other end to chassis ground near the seat belt area. And if that black wire with yellow stripe faded to white, it did a lot of fading. Lol. So that wire is a ground or supplies power?

Attachments

• 20180724_193705.jpg
    20180724_193705.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 437
- What year is this FWD converted to AWD car?
- And this is a 2g 2.0L turbo (not 2g NT) correct?
- Did the fuel gauge ever work after conversion (or recently) or did it just recently stop (and stopped after doing what)?
- Has a fuel pump rewire mod been done on this car?
- Not sure what your black-white wire is if it's not faded. The factory FWD has a black-white from the fuel pump to a black to ground WHICH SOUNDS LIKE THAT MIGHT BE IT - where the factory AWD has just a black from the fuel pump to ground. Or if a fuel pump rewire mod was done, someone may have used a black-white power wire (to go to another fuel pump relay in the area). Follow where it goes to find out.
- Note that the fuel gauge works by the senders providing variable resistance (based on fuel level) to ground. So +12v power goes into the fuel gauge and out of that gauge to the senders which provide the varying ground. The yellow and yellow-black signal wires connecting the senders indirectly provide this ground (read post 2). You'd have to use a voltmeter (not a light which draws too much power and has way too low a resistance) to see any power on these wires.

98 fwd. 95 awd. Rewire done I might have just wired it wrong. I'll have to verify when I get home I suppose. Thanks for the assistance though.

This is how I have it wired currently.

Been trying to research on this. The arrows are just the wires going into the harness. The black/blue wire off the plug at the tank isn't connected because I have power going directly to the fuel pump off the relay instead. I'm uncertain if that give power to the sending unit maybe and it's needing to be powered?

So many diagrams that make this crap confusing. Especially since the pump is no longer in the tank. Just the sending unit.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And this is STM's instructions on doing the fuel pump rewire, as I've done it above.

And found this one as well that at least tells me what each wire does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update but I fixed the issue.

I'm not sure what black wire with the white stripe went to. So I cut that wire off and ran the other end directly to ground (now that I know what it goes to). It still wasn't working so I pulled the assembly back out, only to find that the sending unit had popped off the assembly. It's only the plastic tabs that holds it on anyway. So I used a ziptie to fix that issue and now it's working great after correcting the wiring as well.

Sure appreciate the help because I wouldn't have been able to diagnose the issue without it.

Bringing this back, can someone please send me a pick of the 3 pin fwd connector, I'm pretty sure my 99 has different color wires.

This is what I have

Attachments

• IMG_20181006_203140053.jpg
    IMG_20181006_203140053.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 741
Guys still need help, am I supposed to splice the fwd harness into the awd one or replace one with the other, top pic is the mess ive been using for the last year, gauge stays at the half way Mark and works to 3/4th maybe a lil more. Second pic is both the harnesses, the one in my hand is from the donor

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this thread but wiring isn't my specialty. '

I have 95 2g FWD and the donor parts I got were from a 99 GSX. The diagram that everyone uses to wire the gas tank is a 2 pin driver side sending unit harness however the 99 is 4 pin.

If anyone would be so kind to connect the other 2 wires (yellow/blue and yellow/black) I would appreciate it. I've attached to picture and the other 2 wires somebody please tell/show me where to run them if possible.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back