The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

what is the gear ratio of a 2gb 97-99 gsx

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The rear end ratio is the same from 1990-1999 -- the difference is in the gear ratio of the transfer case of 1990-1996 vs. 1997-1999, and the 58-tooth front diff ring gear in 1990-1996 vs. the 57-tooth front diff ring gear in 1997-1999 transmissions.

ah. i counted the revoultions to move the tcase spline while the motor and trans are in the car. It came out to 12 revs of the motor in 1st gear and lined up the tcase spline to where it was when i first started turning it.

I'm conused that you're confused!! WTF

That chart lists 1G, 2G, AWD, FWD, VR4s, Manuals, and Automatic.

What else is there??

It was last updated in 2000 so it doesn't include 3Gs or 4Gs, but we're not talking about those... are we? :confused:

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

I'm conused that you're confused!! WTF

That chart lists 1G, 2G, AWD, FWD, VR4s, Manuals, and Automatic.

What else is there??

It was last updated in 2000 so it doesn't include 3Gs or 4Gs, but we're not talking about those... are we? :confused:

95-96 2g awd transmissions were geared different than the 97-99

YouTube - 2G DSM Transmission Differences

i watched the video again. i messed up because i have to spin the transmission 5 revs and i did 12.

That's good info. Now you know.

Here's a quote from the VFAQ site and why it may be incorrect:

According to the Shop Manual CD, here are the gear ratios .... The Shop Manuals for the different years sometimes conflicted with the Tech Manual (the CD only has the early Tech Manual, so only covers 1Gs), so I put what I thought were the proper numbers in some places
Apparently the shop manuals don't even mention a change in 2g ratios. That's why the DSM community is awesome!! We know more than the factory guys do!!:thumb:

And we share it with everyone! :hellyeah:

The rear end ratio is the same from 1990-1999 -- the difference is in the gear ratio of the transfer case of 1990-1996 vs. 1997-1999, and the 58-tooth front diff ring gear in 1990-1996 vs. the 57-tooth front diff ring gear in 1997-1999 transmissions.

Is there any way to differentiate the two while it's in the car? 57 vs 58 tooth

Of the transmission? well, I guess the easiest way would be the part number on the bellhousing. W5M33-2-MUZT is the 97-99 AWD transmission if it is unmolested.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back