The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Weird cut out/backfire or fuel cut help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16vdohcturboawd

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 15, 2003
the moon, Maine
The other day I was cruising at around 50mph, I dumped it in 3rd and put it to the carpet to pass another car and there was a loud bang/noise and the car didnt go anywhere. At first I thought it was a backfire but now im not sure. It doesnt do it everytime just lets say 3 out of five times and only in third gear at WOT. The boost gauge says 14-15 in 3rd so im not creeping at least bad its on the stock BCS with the restricter yanked out. Is this fuel cut or does it sound like a boost leak, my idle is a little erratic not bad but definetly a little erratic. The car doesnt smoke or anything and it pulls hard in every other gear. Im going to be putting in a walbro 190 with a rewire kit and change the fuel filter this weekend in case its running outta gas up top and im gonna do a BLT. I have my logging stuff coming but unfortuneatly I got sent a Palm Tungsten E2 instead of the M500 and I think its not compatible. Please help with any theories....

My ideas are

Fuel cut, maybe take out the lower honeycomb???
Running out of fuel up top...need bigger pump/new filter
boost leak? would it cause this?
Computer taking a dump and causing phantom fuel cut?

my mods

Hacked mas, the lower honey comb is still in.
Dejon intake pipe
2.5"VRS Turbo back exhaust
BCS removed
most free mods done
Autometer cobalt boost and water temp gauges
new NGK plugs and wires.

Thats kinda what I was thinking, Ive been babying it since it did it, I havent been boosting over 5 psi. Ill get my pump and rewire done asap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back