The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

turbos and mileage....bah!

Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lts_Fly7

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2003
IllinoisUS
i was just curious as to if putting a hahn stage 1 turbo on a clipse with 150K miles would seriously kill my engine. Is there anything i should do to my engine first? cause i have to agree with everyone who said i would do it...i want a turbo now. only had my N.T for bout 2 weeks and sadly i find myself doing the pwwooofffsshhh sound to myself when i shif...:rolleyes: ....and just to let ya peeps kno even if ya say i should go buy a GSX or GST instead, i bought my 99 RS for 4700 and there is not a thign wrong with it, only thing i can SEE wrong is a little owie on the front fender, and some of the rivets hav been broken wich hold the stock bumper in place, the engine still runs perfectly strong. so even if i just bought turbo system, i still wont have spent anywhere nearas much cash on a turbo system, as buygina new GSX. thanks for the input. :D :D

Lts_fly7

I just emailed Hahn and they said i should get a compression check, if it passes, go ahead withthe install. so i guess that answers my question. :) cool...hhehehehehe. but do you guys still suggest that as a good idea?

150k miles on that engine is a sh*tload of miles. Most of those engines blow around the 100k miles mark. Not saying they all blow around 100k but they have been know to go downhill after 100.I would definitely suggest buying a GST or GSX with 60,000 miles or less. With the money that you put into an RS to get it into the 14's, you could have a GSX/GST in the low 13's or 12's.

150k miles on that engine is a sh*tload of miles. Most of those engines blow around the 100k miles mark. Not saying they all blow around 100k but they have been know to go downhill after 100.I would definitely suggest buying a GST or GSX with 60,000 miles or less. With the money that you put into an RS to get it into the 14's, you could have a GSX/GST in the low 13's or 12's.

if it blows up, i get a new motor for it for 120$. good ol warranty and best friends engine.:) coool

Originally posted by KutMASTA

what engines are you talking about? The 420a's? From what i have heard and seen, they do last more time than that. 4g63? Last way over 100k. 4g37, die only if you beat them to death every time you drive it.

what are you talking about the engine blowing? almost every engine will last a long time if you do basic maintenance. knock ford all you want, but i know of a kid with a tempo that's approaching 250k...

420a's suck in my opinion, come on, it's a chrysler engine. Yeah pretty much any engine can last if ya drive it like a grandma, but if you're planning on putting a turbo and other mods on it and expecting to drive it hard a good majority of the time, 100k miles or more is gonna be a lot, get what i'm saying? sure, if you leave it stock, hell they'll run forever, but if you're expecting some performance numbers out of the 420a, expect it to not run at it's best after 100k or sooner. 4g63T's were built for boost, hence why they are better for turbos, they can handle the extra stress on the engine. and to reply to the warranty, you said you'll get a new motor for $120, is this a manufacturer warranty? cause i'm pretty sure they won't replace it if they see an aftermarket turbo or anything else the hinders the warranty on the motor.

i agree, if you alter the engine's power production, then you're asking for trouble. but this sounded like a suggestion that the motor (unmodified) would only last a little over 100k before it began to deteriorate

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back