The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

turbo swap...need to go further

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FORMONTOYA

DSM Wiseman
Oct 7, 2004
Houston, Texas
i am doing a turbo swap and this weekend i got to the point of removing the turbo and exhaust mani so i could get the mani ported and start getting this toy back together. well, about 2 am saturday morning the turbo is off and i am taking the mani off...not what i wanted to see (even though "hope for the best...expect the worst" is my motto), #2 & 3 exhaust ports on the head is totally covered in oil...#1 is about 75% covered...but #4 looks pretty good for a 95k car. top it all off, a visual of the mani revealed one he** of a crack from the inside...not migrated through...yet! what a somber moment, :thumbdown but it lasted about 20 seconds or so then i started to think...if i work 5 nines (my job is such that i can work as much over 40 hrs as i want) i can have this new addition to the project done in about 4 weeks. :thumb: then a few seconds later i start to think again...timing belt change was at roughly 55k...at 95k now...inside of 10k i will need to start thinking about a t-belt change...the head is off the car, might as well do that now. :thumbdown head work, t-belt change, plus associated other parts and crap that go along with that and i start to think...if i work 5 tens then in about 6 weeks i should be looking pretty good on the second addition to the cause. :thumb: then it hits me...i am married, :( (do not get me wrong, i love my wife, but...negotiating deals can really suck, especially when she thinks you have already sunk to much money this go round) then i start to think...if i work 5 tens and a half day on saturday...in about 8 weeks this could be a done deal. :thumb: because after all...my wife is not going to ok the deal unless she gets something out of it. :cry: soooooo...have not got the head off as of yet...but i am hopeing, and my wife is praying, that i do not find even the slightest thing questionable about the lower end...if i do :mad: ...maybe if i work 6 tens for.....

jim :dsm:

that was the hardest post to read ever!

anyways I think you should do all that now because if you dont you will have to do it later which can mean more downtime more money and more wifee getting pissed.

besides you will learn alot and be much more content withyourself if you do the work now and mostly yourself.

good luck :thumb: :D I'm doing a timing belt for the first time... had it done by other shops before, butim going for cheapy on this project dsm

yea...i will be the 'grunt' man on the t-belt job with the help of a buddy that works for the local mitsu dealer (he actually did the first t-belt on this car) to supervise and actually set the belts to make sure everything is correct. amaizing what a homecooked meal (wifes a pretty good cook), a 12 pack (after the job is complete), and some pocket change can accomplish...works great when your buddy is single.

well if you work 10 more hours.........oh what the hell anyways. this is the sort of things that burns me up now as long as you are paying or helping pay the bills why should she worry about what you do to your car???? but in my eyes its your car, your project soooo fix it up. but this is also coming from a fellow dsmtuner.

Timing belt job isn't hard if you read the vfaq carefully and know it by heart!

Oil on your exhaust ports is likely bad valve stem seals. Get a Miller Valve Spring Compressor, and you don't even have to pull the head to fix it (but the tool will set you back $150).

joemathews said:
Timing belt job isn't hard if you read the vfaq carefully and know it by heart!

Oil on your exhaust ports is likely bad valve stem seals. Get a Miller Valve Spring Compressor, and you don't even have to pull the head to fix it (but the tool will set you back $150).

yea...i will have a buddy help that knows what is going on...and yes, i think that the seals and/or guides are bad, but have not been that far yet. i was checking this site http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Valvestem-seals.html (a little ways down) on the miller tool...i would still need to remove t-belt so i can rotate cams...if i could just change the valve seals and do the t-belt in 10k, it would be worth the $150-200 for the tool as a one off buy (it would be a year - 1 1/2 years for me to hit 10k...especially since the backup is running fairly good). but if i have to do a t-belt anyway...might as well yank the head and get it freshened up plus a little mild porting to boot.

thanks for the info though,

dremersvision said:
well if you work 10 more hours.........oh what the hell anyways. this is the sort of things that burns me up now as long as you are paying or helping pay the bills why should she worry about what you do to your car???? but in my eyes its your car, your project soooo fix it up. but this is also coming from a fellow dsmtuner.

you are not married...are you?

compromise, compromise, compromise...sucks, but that is how it is....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back