The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Serious car stereo problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onefast2gdsm

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2010
millersburg, Pennsylvania
I started upgrading my car stereo equipment in my 96 gst that had a factory infinity system.

First I installed my sony xplod bluetooth stereo. All speakers worked great, no issues. I used the metra install cable so I didn't have to hack the factory wiring.

I bought a kenwood 4 channel amp from my boss for 40 bucks, this is where the problems happen. I used 4 gauge wire from the battery, grounded with a 4 gauge wire under the passenger seat. I spliced into the factory amp wire harness for the speakers wires. I have the tweeters on the same channels as the front speakers. I have lightning audio 4 channel rcas. Remote wire is ran right as well. When I start my car, the stereo says failure, and I hear a slight buzz coming from what seems every speaker. Sound is better than it was, but I hear some distortion at a higher volume. When I turn the car off, an obnoxious buzz from one rear speaker and the front right tweeter/door speaker. I put my mb quart speakers in the doors, and that didn't change anything. I checked the wiring 3 times now and I am stumped. All I changed was I installed an amp. I also smell a faint burning smell, but it could be because the amp is under the passenger seat and its getting warm.

any help appreciated.

I should also add, on the way home tonight I was playing music and all of a sudden it cut out, and 5 minutes later it came back on.

hard to tell what you ahve going on from what you wrote, sorry I just can't completely understand what is going on. Why are you using the factory wiring? Run new 16ga speaker wire to the speakers. Also what is the model of the amp? Do you have your amp grounded to BARE metal? The biggest problem could be if your RCA's are not ran on the opposite side of the car as the power wire for the amp. You can get an enormous amount of interference if they are close to each other.

Could be different things. Could be the amp, or even the head unit just got a bad one it happens. But it could be something wired wrong. How and where did you get the remote wire for the amp. Most aftermarket radios that have RCAs for an amp have a remote wire to tell the amp to cut on. And like dewoof01 said make sure the ground is on bear raw metal. Biggest and common mistake.

I should also add, on the way home tonight I was playing music and all of a sudden it cut out, and 5 minutes later it came back on.

That was your cue to where the problem could be. Something overheated, most likely an amplifier or even head unit. Soon as it cools down it goes back working.

Also you said :
"When I start my car, the stereo says failure, and I hear a slight buzz coming from what seems every speaker"

It is telling you it has failed or something attached to it has failed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back