The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

RVR Turbo Auto Gear Ratios

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD_Hybrid

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Cheers !

Last edited:
Does it say the rvr turbo has a 3.30 rear diff? I need a tranny for my expos lrv. Its an automatic but has a 3.545 rear diff. I was looking at those rvr trannies on ebay but was wondering if I needed a 3.30 gear set for my diff to run it.

An RVR auto uses 1.074 29/27 like an Evo 3. So you'd need an RVR t/c as well as the 3.307 rear.
Cheers !

Last edited:
Does it say the rvr turbo has a 3.30 rear diff? I need a tranny for my expos lrv. Its an automatic but has a 3.545 rear diff. I was looking at those rvr trannies on ebay but was wondering if I needed a 3.30 gear set for my diff to run it.

LRV 5spd came with 3.9 rear diff. the auto should have come with 3.3? I wonder if the auto you have is really 3.54?

This is my corrected gear ratios, not Mitsu manual quoted gears.
I have built many RVR turbo auto boxes for street & strip. I have worked out the so called
gear ratios by my gps speeds vs revs & by using a mph vs revs formula. My box is locked,
so there is no viscous slip that could throw my figures out. I used 3rd gear which has all
clutch packs applied to find the final drive ratio & then applied the formula to work out
the other gear ratios. These imaginary gear ratios are not what Mitsubishi quotes. The diffs
& transfer case tooth counts are correct. Tyres are 225 x 50 x 17 which are only 4mm undersize
in dia, so it won't effect the specs. Convertor is a non lockup, but all brazed up etc.
These figures are physically proven, not theory writen in a manual. Mitsu quoted Eclipse gears.

Cheers !

how did you determine tire size? typically tires are much smaller than advertised. example 225/50/17 should be 25.9 tall but actual from revs per mile the tire is 25.2. this is typical for all tires as manufactures have shrunk tire sizes over the years to increase profits no doubt.

what was actual MPH measured on highway in third gear? at what RPM?

what about converter slip? that certainly changes gear ratio and cat really be calculated.

Last edited:
RVR tyre size is 215x65x15 which is quoted as 26" in a tyre book.
My 225x50x17 tyres are quoted as 3/16" less. < Calcs with these tyres.
I posted this as MY real time road test. Show us your figures if you like.
Cheers !

Last edited:
well I like the info you posted. but for it to be useful could you post the actual tire diameter? or just tell me how far car rolls with one revolution? that way I can use your information to figure what my speeds will be with the smaller tires I plan to use.

I held my speeds to make the convertor settle & noted the speeds (flat road)
If you make a graph of speed vs revs using Mitsu stated gears, it is wrong.

even in a straight line the stock converter is slipping. torque converter with lock up gets 2-3mpg better mileage. so there is quite a bit of slip actually. maybe they just calculatd with no slip???

I've posted enough info on how I did.
Cheers !

Last edited:
Anytime you tap the accelerator you will see the taco jump = convertor wasting fuel.
Factory cruise controls don't read often enough & cause convertor flaring ^^^^^^^
Me keeping the taco steady at gps speeds is the figures I've given. Not easy to do.
Use 5.069 as your final drive, but use your tyres size. That's with the 3.307 rear.
I have worked out my other 5.997 final drive by theory with my tyres.
I will do a road test it's figures, but it's not relevant to this post.
Here's my tyres by what they say.
Tire - 225/50R17
Overall Diameter: 25.85in 656.59mm
Sidewall Height: 4.42 in 112.26 mm
Circumference: 81.21 in 2062.7 mm
Revs per Mile: 804.6
Driving 10 wheel revolutions with me in it in fwd mode, the rears fall 1" short.
We'll call that the engine weight & my fat arse flattening the front tyres.
If I put 2 more fat arses in the back, it would roll a bit more evenly.
Viscous coupling varying the drive ratio front to rear can throw figures out too.
I said > My box is locked, so there is no viscous slip that could throw my figures out.
There are many technical points to throw figures out.
Mitsu won't put on paper how they come up with their imaginary figures.
I've posted enough info on how I did.
Cheers ! I've posted enough info on how I did.
Cheers !
804.6 revs per mile = 25.06 tire diameter
78.75 circumferance
and even above data should only be used when tires are new. otherwise you need to measure how far they roll.

so I still do not know whether you used actual tire dimensions in your caalculations???

Last edited:

Here is a pic of the rear end on my 92 EXPO, automatic.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back