The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Running more boost without fpr?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoolN

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2003
Coventry, Rhode_Island
I just got the sbr fmic, and fuel kit with 650's, also a wideband. Would running around 20-22 psi be ok without a fpr or should I wait and snag one before I start running that amount of boost. I have the evo 3 turbo.

Stock fpr overrun happens during idle and part throttle, nothing to do with WOT.

It isn't exactly a must because stock you have 43psi of fuel pressure which is a pretty good amount. I would get one soon but it isn't a must yet. You can run that kind of boost without one but I would monitor your car and keep an eye on it.

95blackGsTurbo said:
It isn't exactly a must because stock you have 43psi of fuel pressure which is a pretty good amount. I would get one soon but it isn't a must yet. You can run that kind of boost without one but I would monitor your car and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the help, Yea I will have a wideband and using my friends datalogger

SpoolN said:
Thanks for the help, Yea I will have a wideband and using my friends datalogger
Maybe you didn't hear me the first time, there are no fpr overrun during WOT. In other words, an AFPR is cruicial for the 255 but it has no impact on how much boost you can run.

oldman said:
Maybe you didn't hear me the first time, there are no fpr overrun during WOT. In other words, an AFPR is cruicial for the 255 but it has no impact on how much boost you can run.

Am I getting this right fpr overrun cause irratic fuel pressure at idle and partial throttle, confused on the actuall meaning. So your saying yes get a afpr soon. correct

oldman said:

He is right. I was assuming you had a 255. Should have read your profile first. You don't need a AFPR until you upgrade your pump. Which I suggest you do as one of your next mods in the near future. Or at least rewire yours for now.

So I should get a fpr is this one ok, and will it come with everything i need for install? Fuel Injector Clinic Aeromotive AFPR and Install Kit

SpoolN said:
Am I getting this right fpr overrun cause irratic fuel pressure at idle and partial throttle, confused on the actuall meaning. So your saying yes get a afpr soon. correct
Correct.

Your original question was what I was refering to on my previous post.
Would running around 20-22 psi be ok without a fpr or should I wait and snag one before I start running that amount of boost.

I am guessing that there is no way to sort of tune out these stumbles under idle/part throttle with an afc, correct?

jeffb006 said:
I am guessing that there is no way to sort of tune out these stumbles under idle/part throttle with an afc, correct?
Correct, afc is rpm based and the degree of fpr overrun changes are load based, rpm is only one of many factors that determines load.

A nice AFPR setup is pretty inexpensive compared to alot of the other parts guys add before eventually getting one. I cant ever figure out why this important step is always skipped.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back