The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

operation revival

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzd4x4

Probationary Member
May 3, 2012
ruch, Oregon
i was given a 90 plymouth laser rs non-turbo automatic 2.0L a few years ago. the problem is the guy who gave it to me said the balancing shaft belt was worn so pulled all the belts and what not off the engine and thats as far as it got and never made it past that point. so when i got it it had been sitting like that for who knows how long the tags expired back in 05 so that should give an idea and the harmonic balancer and water pump pulleys got lost. but know its time to attempt to bring it back to life, however not knowing DSMs I NEED HELP, i know there are little tips and secrets to getting the timing set and that kind of stuff . so its gonna be fun trying to get this running but should be an adventure. thanks ahead of time for any advice tips.:hmm:

Do you haven any experience with these cars/motors or doing timing belts at all? If not, then I suggest bringing it somewhere or have someone who has experience help you.

From the point that you're at you will need to continue pulling it the rest of the way apart. All the pulleys need to come off, then the timing cover needs to come off. Make sure the motor is at top dead center before removing the actual timing belt.

Check this link and read it through. After that then I would ask any further questions.
Timing Belt VFAQ (Timing Belt TSB - ENHANCED)

from the point its at all thats left to come of is whats left of the balancing shaft belt (he ripped what he could off). i dont have experience with dsms and a little with timing belts, im a mazda b-series guy but cant afford to have a shop do it so the best i can do is gather the info and parts set it up and make sure i dont cram a valve through the piston before i start it (6 full rotations if ive done my research right). im mostly looking for little secrets so i only have to do it once versus resetting it half a dozen times.

Did the timing belt actually jump time? If so than you are looking at a little more than just replacing the belt.

From what I was told it was running when the guy pulled it apart, from what I know of the history of the car it just needs the marks realligned to verify proper timing and reassembled with the new parts and belts and a complete tune up due to its been sitting for quite a few years

my two big questions are with the balancing shaft and oil pump timing. do i just set the marks and thats it or is there more than one position when the timing mark is aligned?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back