The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

need help with engine starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintballer999

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 15, 2011
Blairstown, New_Jersey
I just got done building my engine from the shop manual. everything is done to factory spec. the car is stock and it seems to not be firing. i checked on the forums on the firing sequence( the spark plugs and spark plug wires are lined up correctly i think. could someone post a link to a well written page that explains the order clearly) also i did all new wires, gaskets and so forth to the engine. Now for my issue, the starter is turning the engine over, the fuel pump does work, but it seems to be lacking a spark to ignite the fuel. could i have a bad ignition module. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Test both the power transistor and coil pack. Verify that both electrical plugs are fully seated into the coil pack and power transistor along with the CAS. Verify the wiring is cut or broke on any of the plugs. Could also be a bad ECU. Pull the ECU and check for bad/leaking capacitors, or if it smells like dead fish when you open it up it probably needs repaired. Are you sure there is no spark at all? I've verified this by pulling a plug and keeping it attached to a plug wire then turning it over a few times and grounding the plug on the valve cover. BE VERY CAREFUL AND ONLY CRANK IT A FEW TIMES. Have someone else verifying it for spark or have someone turn the key over so you can see if it sparks.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/229419-how-test-power-transistors.html

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

is there a possibility that it could be the ignition module? i do not have a spare cas so is there anyting else to try before buying a new one?

Usually you can test the CAS by pulling it and spinning it by hand and you can hear the injectors click. Key needs to be on. But that is only telling you that you are getting fuel.

i doubt it but there could be a possibility. the motor needs 3 major things to run.
1. spark
2. fuel
3. compression.
check to see if your getting spark, have someone crank the engine and take one spark plug wire and hold it by the valve cover while the engine is cranking. repeat that on all 4. you should know if your getting spark.

Test both the power transistor and coil pack. Verify that both electrical plugs are fully seated into the coil pack and power transistor along with the CAS. Verify the wiring is cut or broke on any of the plugs. Could also be a bad ECU. Pull the ECU and check for bad/leaking capacitors, or if it smells like dead fish when you open it up it probably needs repaired. Are you sure there is no spark at all? I've verified this by pulling a plug and keeping it attached to a plug wire then turning it over a few times and grounding the plug on the valve cover. BE VERY CAREFUL AND ONLY CRANK IT A FEW TIMES. Have someone else verifying it for spark or have someone turn the key over so you can see if it sparks.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/229419-how-test-power-transistors.html

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Usually you can test the CAS by pulling it and spinning it by hand and you can hear the injectors click. Key needs to be on. But that is only telling you that you are getting fuel.

how loud will the clicks be from the injectors when i spin the cas?

Ok so you pulled the plugs out? From the head correct? Then what are you doing to test for spark!? Somebody needs to turn the motor over while another person is checking for spark. It's a simple test. Did you do the test MICHAELSUCH posted!? Coil and CAS?

yes i pulled the wires from the engine. and i had someone else check to see if there was a spark. there seems to be no power to the coil pack, where would i look now for an issue? i did check the ecu, no fishy smells or anything look wrong. no acid anywhere on the board

anyone else have any insight as to what the problem may be?

ok, new update as for the problem. the coil pack gets power. i tested it and there is a current going to it. as for the cas, is there a 12v power source that is fed to the cas so that i can test and see if it is receiving power?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back